So, I'm hoping somebody has a similar situation and can offer some advice.

I have a pretty nice stereo system (Rotel Preamp and Amp with Tannoy speakers), and when I hook my Empeg up to it, it sounds like crap. If I set the Empeg volume to 0db and turn off all the EQ, I get MAJOR distortion. Even on Tori Amos! I have to turn the volume down to approximately -30db, and then I have to turn all the EQs down to like -10. This of course requires me to turn the volume of the preamp much higher...but at least it's a somewhat cleaner sound.

Even the .WAV file I put on the empeg sounded completely horrible compared to the CD through the system. I admit, the CD is playing on my DVD player via digital coax, and the Empeg with it's RCA outs can't compete...but it shouldn't sound as horrible as it does. I really want to use my Empeg more at home, but the sound is just bad.

Any suggestions on settings that I should try? Or will it just sound horrible due to the high quality of everything else in the system?