Okay .. since GetConnected.com has a deal on a free directivo and satellite ... this brought around an "okay" from the wife.

This is where it gets hairy. They say that professional installation is mandatory. I'm actually going to put the satellite in the closet and use a series of filters and switches to receive my satellite signal from Southwestern Bell's dish on our apartment complex ... without their knowledge. My apartment doesn't face the southern sky. They send the signal into all the apartments then lease out those crappy sony receivers.

I'm going to hijack that signal into my own receiver though a whole bunch of goodies, so that I can pay directTV and tivo directly rather than have to muck with Southwestern Bell.

The hardware is supposed to arrive in a week or so. They're going to have their professional installer contact me for an apointment to come out.

I guess I'll tell him (after I have the box and satellite in hand) that his services aren't needed anymore. I wonder how they'll take it?

Greg