Hi.

Sounds pretty much like what we would call "Eierlegende Wollmilchsau" in German, or to describe its meaning: A thing that does simply everything that _might_ be wanted by someone.

I don't think anything like that will happen. Well, if you drop the face-off part that is also a standalone MP3 player, and replace it just with a face-off part that is nothing but a key and UI to the unit, it sounds a lot more likely. The idea of having an external harddisc, and a (smaller) drop-in harddisc is somehow intriguing (sp?) to me, but it implies a lot of difficulties on the developers part, like how to do deletions, how to make sure the database is correct after sync etc. But still, a possible solution.

What I would love as an empeg followup (MkIII or whatever you would like to call it) is about this:
Take the MkII, add Bluetooth and/or 802.11 support (802.11b si enough, but I would _love_ 802.11a), add VR and an interface to use it as a GSM/UMTS phone, or at least as a good handsfree solution for existing mobile phones (you know, one with echo compensation, handsfree dialing etc.). Now add an interface that allows for an additional drive bay which might either contain a CD drive (if not built into the main unit) or additional (3,5"?) harddiscs. Also, add at least two usable serial ports for 3rd party apps (like for OBD-II monitoring as well as GPS). I don't care too much for USB if 802.11 or bluetooth are available, but a USB (preferably 2.0) master port instead of the second serial would be extremely nice, because it adds virtually unlimited expandability to the unit (like Ethernet, harddics, additional serial ports etc.).
My ideal unit would look like this:

1. Base about the same as MkIIa, but with 32MB of RAM
  2. Add USB 2.0 master or at least dual USB 1.1 master
  3. Add DAB capable Tuner (internally if possible), keep AM/FM tuner available.
  4. If possible add internal CD-ROM drive for checking freshly bought CDs, listening to a friends CDs or stuff like that, or even for map CDs for the navigation add-on

Wouldn't care if Ethernet would be stripped out (can be added with external USB adapter). Also, additional serial ports can be added in the same way, if necessary via a USB hub. I don't ask for much, do I?
Oh, for me, a quick-out is prefered over the face-off kind, I also like the optical understatement of the empeg and its superb menu structure (though it is getting a bit too big in the top level now).

cu,
sven