I emailled Lightsheet looking for some pricing and other info, they replied to me. Here is a summary:

They have 2 products now, lightsheet [what we talked about, and lightrope/stripe - basically a thin indiglo covered wire.
Lightsheet is about as thin as 2 sheets of paper, you can cut it to size and shape, or even put holes in it and the light output is not affected - the whole sheet glows evenly. It has two main colours, White and Blue.

You can order the sheets/ropes in various colors and the transformer you need to run them is quite small [as small as .9 inch by .7 inch by .5 inch] and runs off a 9 volts power source [e.g. 9V battery] and costs between $10 and $20 USD for the Xformer, which can run more than 1 sheet.

The sheet is less than $USD5 per square inch on average [gets a lot cheaper the more inches you buy in the one sheet, smallest is .25 square inches for $2.75].
The Rope/Stripe is $2.75 per foot with 1/2 a foot increments.

The Light sheet/rope is rated at 5000 'power on' hours - which if its used only at night would mean a lifetime, or about 9 months of 24 a day continuous use.

Heres some contact info from their PDFs they sent me:

Order by phone, C.O.D.
Call us at 603-595-7146, 24 hours a day,
seven days a week. Or, fax us at 603-595-9609.

How to order:
LightSheet Systems 319 Main Dunstable Road Nashua NH 03062-1906
603-595-7146 FAX 603-595-9609 [email protected]
Order by phone with your credit card.
Call us at 603-595-7146 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

They do international orders too.

So, sounds like a intersting idea, you could mount the small Xformer inside your empeg if you only had one disk installed, there may not be room with two drives installed. You would wire the Xformer to your cars 'Headlights' on input on the docking connector inside the Empeg so its only powered at night and you could use a small regulator to ensure only 9 volts is output to the Xformer.

Very do-able, now all we need are [more] transparent buttons than the grey ones we have now.

I can imagine BTW some of the uses this stuff would have outside of your Empeg - must be 1001 projects this stuff is good for.