Software releasing is a big problem where I work, and doubly so because the marketing guys keep promising stuff while we are still trying to slay bugs. We have had to literally stop doing any work and just sit around talking about our empegs (both of us programmers have one) and watch our software run to make sure it gets tested before someone starts handing out CD's with not yet tested software on it. We keep telling the customer's "next week", and then some other problem shows up (many times because we put in some new feature in the mean time). This cycle is harsh, and I'm sure anyone in software development knows what it feels like, especially when you have to deal with marketing "promises" to the customer. Truth is, they shoudln't be letting anything in testing out the door, but it happens every time and we get complaints.

I only say this to note that I understand how bugs get into software, how impatent the customer can be, and how frustrating the process is. I love the new features the beta allows us, and they are worth the trouble of potentially harmful bugs. If I wern't ready for that risk, I'd use the software that shipped with the player. I'm sure they already know, but the empeg guys are doing a great job and I am very greatful.

-Jeff