some of your suggestions wouldn't work for contieous mix/techno cd's...
- When you activate shuffle, immediately stop playing the current song, reshuffle the current playlist, and begin playing the first song from that shuffled list.

Why not shuffle in the background, or when the next song is over so that you don't interrupt the current song?

- When you deactivate shuffle, do not stop playing the current song. When the current song is over, play the next song in the current playlist. If the song exists in more than one sub-playlist of the current playlist, test the other "next" songs to see if they are from the same album/artist. If so, pick that one, because it's probably the next song on the album and I turned off shuffle so that I could hear the rest of the album unshuffled.

how about giving you a menu of playlists to play if there's more then one? for techno cd's, every song on a cd is by a different artist.. if it pops up in more then one, then you could just choose which one...

On that note, it's be nice to play different songs from the same author w/ another play option as well..

Notice, though, that that's a complex piece of behavior, and it's only my preference. Someone else would want it to behave differently. Not an easy problem for the programmers to solve, eh?

Yep - which is why having the option to choose the behavior would be nice; and having the option to have scripts would be nice as well...
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units