??? Forget Rob's request for all settings, or Tony's for per song EQ adjustments. It's track volume adjustments that we(at least I) need most.

Okay, I say we settle it like men, with a standard-rules cage match. Winner gets to request his pet feature.

Actually, I think that a per-song volume offset would be nice, too. Something to consider, though, is that a per-song EQ preset could solve the same problem. You could have some EQs that simply boost or cut all frequencies. Of course, with only 16 presets, you'd run out of EQs fast if you needed more than just a couple volume levels. It would be just about enough for me... I forsee having 15 EQ variations (normal, less bright, more bright, less bass, more bass, and normal/louder/softer variations on each of those).

As said in the other thread, the perceived sound pressure of a song is more dependent on the mastering skills than on the physical peak volumes that can be found in the data of tracks.

Yeah, imagine my surprise when I found out that the quietest album in my collection was already peak-normalized. I spent a little time trying to run compressors on the .wav files, and realized that good compression is an art form best left up to the professionals.

So you're probably right- a manually-selectable per-song volume offset is likely to be the only easily workable solution. You'd probably need to set the value by cutting the volume on the loud tracks rather than vice-versa. Boosting the volume of the quiet tracks would cause them to go above 0db if your amps are properly adjusted.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144