This message prompted by last comment in Loren's recent post to the General forum... And in followup to my own post in this forum about extruded alminum. I have decided to make my own component box out of aluminum U-shaped channel. Three layers, 1/2", 2" and 1/2". This allows the mounitng of the empeg without having to cut a "hole" into a larger flat front panel. It should also give the box a nice finished consumer-electronic look. I won't have any materials exposed on the front or top except aluminum (and the empeg's own plastics). I'll have to figure out how to put some simple aluminum caps on any buttons I show.

I bought all sorts of small parts yesterday. Got panel-mount RCA connectors (they're all in singles so they'll look very nice on the back panel). Bought one 1P1T switch with low travel and a big flat square button top - to which I'll try attaching an aluminum top/cap for a snooze button (I have to talk to Tony/ynot about support for this feature in his alarm application). Next I have a nice 1P2T switch with rectangular LED that I want to use for my standby switch/indicator. I also bought a pretty standard IEC male socket. Of course I already have a small power supply from an old drive case (12/5v 4.something AMP output). I won't even need to solder anything because the power supply already has some nice insulated spade plugs to attach to the back of the IEC power socket. I also bought a small power connector (same size as the empeg one). So I'll be able to use it to force the player into home mode, though I'll be using the dock for power.

I also bought a small 30" aluminum sheet-metal bender/brake that I've wanted for a long time. I may also get a rod bender which might come in handy.

I know McMaster Carr has all the aluminum stock I need in all the right sizes. Now I just have to find the stuff locally to avoid having it shipped. And I alread have a set of PC component speakers chosen to use as well (but I'll take a run by Costco to see if I can find similar for a lower price - these seem to be the bulk of the cost right now at $99 Canadian).

Bruno