Ok, before I get to my question, here's my before/after set-up:

Before:

Win2K
Celeron 533
512 MB RAM
1st IDE Cable: Maxtor 20 GB 7200 RPM ATA 33 (master) and 30 GB Quantam Fireball 7200 RPM ATA 66 (slave)
2nd IDE Cable: Plexwriter 8/4/32 only (master)

After:

Win2K
Celeron 533
512 MB RAM
1st IDE Cable: Maxtor 20 GB 7200 RPM ATA 33 (master) and 30 GB Quantam Fireball 7200 RPM ATA 66 (slave)
2nd IDE Cable: Western Digital 80 GB 7200 RPM Ultra 100 (master) and Plexwriter 8/4/32 (slave)

And even though all my drives are different ATA speeds, I think they are all running at 33, since I'm not using any controller cards and am using an old ABit BH6 mobo.

Now, FWIW, with the first set-up, I was ripping a cd in about 25 minutes or 2.5X. With the second set-up, I was ripping a cd in about 8 minutes or 9.8X. That seemed weird to me, since the only difference is that it's now a slave instead of a master. Anyway, after several rips with the new set-up, I tried for my first burn (using the lastest version of ExactAudioCopy). It seemed to be working, but when I got back there was an error message saying I had "ejected" the cd drive (not the cd, but the drive itself). It also showed my new HDD as being "ejected". When I rebooted, my new hard drive was there, but my cd drive was not. Where'd it go? What do I have to do to get it back?