Hello.

I have a 2002 Mercedes C-230 Sport Coupe. I also have the Bose tape player with changer controls. I went to Car Toys (a popular audio shop with many branches throughout the west) and they said as long as we get the Panasonic adapter that allows the Empeg to emulate the MB changer, it will work. While this particular installer has not done this installation, the pairing should work according to him.

This was to some degree predicated on information that I provided to the installer when he was scoping out my car. I told him that Mercedes has made little to no changes in the CD changer over the years. The installer can recall installations where the Panasonic adapter worked with the Bose deck, but as was listed above, it is a complicated install. I based my information off of a Mercedes Benz aftermarket site that sells changers at about half of the factory cost (where factory cost is $1,000!). I figured that there is no reason to get an overpriced changer when I can have the ultimate in in car entertainment. And I will get to retain my awesome steering wheel thumb controls.

Also there would be little need to purchase a now highly unavailable Empeg tuner module. Here's to hoping it works. As soon as I am able to confirm that Car Toys can get a hold of the adapter, I will order my Empeg. If they are unable to locate the adapter, I will probably order said adapter from the dealers listed in the FAQ.

By the way, Car Toys formerly sold the Empeg and my installer actually knows what this wonderful player is capable of. Staff that know their stuff at a mainstream store...wow. This is sure different to the sales staff I spoke with back when Car Toys first started stocking the Empeg. So much misinformation...

I have been following the trials and tribulations of the Empeg for years. Even before this BBS, there was an select group of geeks that realized the Empeg was the best of the in-car MP3 players. Now the Empeg has progressed to so much more.

I can't wait to join the club.

I would also like to thank Tony for all his hard work on this board. Every bulliten board deserves to have someone like you.

- Chris Muellenbach
[email protected]