Macrovision will be on the analog output, so it won't affect your stream-saving to the hard disks. Macrovision information is present somewhere in the vertical blank (non-visible) area of the signal, so if your Tivo is compliant, it should record all that goodness as well. This will affect performance when going out to tape however. There are external devices to get around this. You can probably use some type of timebase correction as well.

I just want to know if anyone has any DivX hacks? You know, encode select material to DivX before even spitting it back to your computer. Do any of the ethernet hacks allow pulling recorded material to your computer? Or are we looking at disconnecting the drives? Not that I plan to distribute recorded material of course. I don't even have broadband (nor the inclination). However, some quality (further) lossy compression would be cool for archiving a few select programs. I don't do video tape anymore.

Now, the important question (for me) is... Where can I get a nice (very nice) price on a stand-alone Tivo? Without having to pre-sign any kind of programming agreement (I'm in Canada, eh...) Any pointers to FAQs would be nice (I don't want to subscribe to the Tivo forum and read for ages if I don't have to )

Bruno