Sorry, I've been out.

Yeah, the tone controls will not affect any stored eq settings. Hijack doesn't have any visbility into those - they are stored and restored somewhere in flash by the player.

The tone controls are accomplished by overloading bands 9 and 10 of both left and right channels in 2x10 eq mode, with preselected q and f values, and then providing access to the gain. (BTW, unlike the first proof of concept patch I posted, there is no need to use the players eq to set any values - they are hardcoded in Hijack).

If you are in 4x5 eq, this translates to band 5 of all four eqs, but 2 of them will be doing bass, and 2 treble. I have no easy way of testing to know which is which, so if anyone is using 4x5 mode, can you give me some feedback. I'm guessing that if bass only affected rear, and treble the front, then that would be ok, as most cars tend to provide more bass in the rear and more treble in the front. These tone controls weren't originally envisiged to be used in 4x5 mode...

So that means that eqs can still be used underneath the tone controls. But bands 9 and 10 of your eq wont be effected when you are using tone and bass., so that leaves 2x8 eqs for your settings. (Or 4x4..)
(If you can't get a decent baseline eq in 2x8 bands, or 4x4 bands, then you have a big problem wrt to your amp and speaker setups, and no amount of tone control is going to help you. )

If you turn the bass setting to "Off" then hijack will restore whatever the eq for band 9 was, and ditto for treble and band 10. If you can find a use for this, just be aware that the restored values are those that the player first applied at boot - so if you are in the habit of changing which of your eqs is selected on a regular basis, the following could occur:

Boot. Player sets eq 1
Tone controls save bands 9/10 of eq 1 at boot.
User turns on tone controls, overriding bands 9/10
User changes selected eq to eq 2
User turns off tone controls. Tone controls reapply bands 9/10 of eq 1 - but eq 2 is active for bands 1-8

The workarounds are to reboot after changing selected eqs, or to have bands 9/10 unused (gain set to 0dB) or identical in every eq

I don't see this as being a large enough problem to be worth the extra coding required to stop it from happening in the first place.

As Mark said, the player has no concept that we've hijacked these eq bands, so will continue to display whatever it thinks they are. But, if you try to change them in the eq, then the player will apply the new eq and hijack the bands *back* from the tone controls. Just go into the tone controls and give them a flick to re-hijack them.

Edited by genixia (13/03/2002 17:34)