I use the numeric keypad infrequently. When doing any type of calculations, definitely. That I could stand to lose. But I don't like the combination of F keys with the numbers and I very much like having two CTRL keys. The CAPS lock I don't care much about. I used various Amigas which only had one CTRL key for a long time. I do like the compact size, but there would be too much missing from my current keyboard.

I use a PC with a keytronic-type keyboard for my desk system at work. I use it for email other inter-office stuff. Actual "work" is on various Macs. So I get more than my fair share of evaluating the hardware. The new keyboards aren't built very well. Sharp edges, bad part alignment, and poor plastics quality (and Apple still doesn't make use of all the keys in their operating system and its bundled software). The new mouse, even though it's a better fit into your hand, is not up to the standards of 3rd party products. It's just a stylized pill shape that doesn't take from any of the ergonomic research done in the industry. Its clicking action isn't as intuitive as a distinct button and the sensetivity, though variable, just doesn't feel right. It's only got, like every other Apple-made mouse, one button. Its optics are not as fast as the new MS mice. My mouse preferences are: 1 MS, 2 Logitec. Optical only. I wouldn't use a mechanical (ball) mouse again.

Bruno