I'd noticed that people were actually using my empeg-preinit binary, so I thought I'd upgrade it to do some useful stuff.

This version adds the ability to wait on the music partitions to be mounted. This is accomplished by naming your script starting with a capital `M'. All scripts that need to run immediately now need to start with a capital `N'. This will break current scripts, as ones that start with neither an `N' nor an `M' will not be executed at all. Future releases will (hopefully) have a sorting mechanism so that one script can depend on another having been exectuted. Based on that, I would suggest that scripts have their second and third characters be a two digit number (a la ``N75telnetd'' or ``M33alarmclock'') so that future revisions can sort properly.

This new version also prints out the fact that it has started and has stopped. I would suggest that all scripts do the same thing. Something like this seems appropriate:
#!/bin/sh

echo -e "starting telnetd...\c"
/empeg/bin/telnetd
echo "done"
Of course, some error notification might also be useful, but I'll leave that up to script writers.

It is, as always available at http://www.beaglebros.com/empeg/empeg-preinit/.