I think this is a great idea too. (I think "the song of the day" would be better in a different thread so as not to make this thread too long. so I would start a different thread for that, visuvius).

My first pick would be Screaming Trees (my favorite band). They were casualties of their own behavior to some extent. When they had the chance to ride the grunge train, they got in drunken fist fights and wouldn't tour at all. But they definitely had one of the best albums in recent years with their final one, "Dust". The album is simply beautiful. Please give it a listen. (the link will also lead you to info on Mark Lanegan, the coolest man on the face of the earth).

Next I would have to say Queens of the Stone Age, the rockinest band around today. I've talked about them in another thread. They are the ones carrying the torch of Rock and Roll as far as I'm concerned.

SadHappy is fantastic as I've said before. Go buy "Live - Before We Were Dead" It's just amazing.

I've got plenty more, but that's it for me.

PS- Tony, have you checked GEMM? I did a search on "Mouth Music" and came up with many CD results.