Eh... I could hack this up in like an hour, though I'd be using the slow-as-molasses GD library to do it and y'all probably wouldn't love the pan/scroll speed. Unless I increased the process priority/scheduling policy to compete with the player (meaning there would be a chance that the player would skip while you're panning.)

If I were to do this (hint to any budding Empeg developers out there) I'd just call gdImageFromJpeg or gdImageFromPng to load the image and have the up/down/left/right buttons move the origin of the image. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to worry about manually clipping the image, but I've never really tried displaying an image with an off-screen origin before.

I'd do this, but I have serious questions about the usefulness of viewing a map on a 128x32 screen. That's why printers were created. I don't want to crap on the idea, but aside from the "cool factor" is image panning all that useful? A map in the car is groovy, but the screen size and resolution are just so limited, I'm kinda wondering if it would be all that interesting. I just can't imagine trying to rely on a map showing on such a small screen.