I have used Cisco Aironet and Linksys wireless access points and while the Cisco Aironet is more configureable and a great product the Linksys works just fine and is more than adequate for home use. The Linksys BEFW11S4 is a good choice as a router for your cable modem or DSL service and serves as a wireless access point. The Cisco and Linksys wireless products use the same special TNC antenna connector. I would not purchase a unit without the capability of connecting an external antenna. Wireless coverage is often quoted for ideal conditions, that is free space. Walls, cabinets, furniture, and foilage can all make good coverage difficult to achieve in the basement, backyard or patio. Careful placement of the access point (near the center of your desired coverage area) and an external antenna can make a very big difference in signal strength to your wireless clients.

I have used Cisco Aironet, D-Link, Linksys and Orinoco Gold PCMCIA and PCI clints. I believe the Orinoco cards have an edge in performance. I have not had a compatibility problem in mixing equipment from these manufacturers.

Go with 128 bit encryption security as opposed to 64 bit or 40 bit. It is not perfect but it is better than nothing. The main thing is to actually setup and use the security offered in these products. I have a feeling most systems, particularly in homes, are left wide open.

Michael

PS--While I have not used SMC wireless gear I have heard good reports about it. I have used inexpensive SMC routers and switches with good results and reliability.