After listening to the speakers for a week now, I've discovered that the real problem seems to be a peak in the response in the 5-6 kHz range. It is audible both through my RioCar and my head unit. I am able to get it to sound pretty even by using the Rio's EQ to cut the 5 kHz repsonse by about 6dB, but that doesn't help me with the CD player or the tuner on the head unit. I scheduled an appointment for this Monday to have the tweeter output cut back and some other things done with the install, but now I don't think that's going to help. Right now the tweeters are painful to listen to without EQ even at low volumes.

Are such peaks normal in tweeters of this caliber, or do I have a defective component somewhere? I really don't know how to fix this except with an external EQ. I don't want to spend any more money, especially since I don't have any. I suppose I could somehow route the head unit's output into the Rio's input and use it's EQ, but that would be a rather cumbersome solution. Any other suggestions?

Stu