Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10347 - 30/06/2000 04:34 2000 Jetta Question
apowell
new poster

I've seen several posts about Jettas, but I'm not sure any have provided me with the info I needed -- so I'll just ask it here.

I have a 2000 Jetta with the standard 8-speaker sound system and standard head unit. I have room for another DIN unit in my dash, while keeping the old head unit. My question is: Can I just run the empeg through the original head unit without having to buy an amp or any external hardware? Does my Jetta have a standard line-in? (I've heard that it has a special CD interface that isn't simply a standard line-in.)

Thanks for the help!

Andy

#10348 - 30/06/2000 05:24 Re: 2000 Jetta Question [Re: apowell]
teemcbee
addict

I just was an the VW-site and found following for the Jetta 2000

Radio/Audio
Premium IV, 8-speaker AM/FM cassette stereo sound system with control capability for (optional) CD changer, theft-deterrent warning light and coding system. New dot matrix font on radio display.

CD changer preparation with CD changer wiring harness and mounting shelf in left hand side pocket of trunk, and single CD cable

6 disc CD-changer, trunk mounted (dealer-installed)

In-dash single CD player (dealer installed)

Monsoon Sound System 8 speaker with amplifier, Premium IV radio with AM/FM cassette, control capability for (optional) CD changer, theft deterrent warning light and coding system. New dot matrix font on radio display.

I don't really know which brand the "Premium" radio is. So I don't know how to connect the empeg (instead of the CD-changer).
I've seen 3 different cases:

1. There is a special cable for controlling the changer and a separate input (RCA-Jacks - like needed for the empeg) for the audio. In this case it'd be quite simple to install the Mk2. Connect power supply (you'll have to mount a second ISO-plug for the power/accessoires in your car) and the RCA-jacks.

2. There is a special cable for controlling the changer including the audio-channels. Then you'll have to figure out whichs pins are used for audio and you'll have to make a "custom-connection"

3. As far as I've seen (correct me if I'm wrong) has 3 parts: The Power/accessoires - connector, the speakers connector and a third connector (I don't know if this is really some standard) to control external units like cd-changers. In this case you'll also have to figure out which pins are used and do a "custom-connection"

I've seen mostly the 1st case but there is no real standard. Depends on the manufactorer.

Be sure to read the thread where advantages/disadvantages of installing connected to a head unit were discussed. I don't really know the thread's name. Maybe someone else can tell. (Tony?)

If you can connect the empeg to the headunit (and this should work) you don't need an amplifier or anything else - your head unit acts as amplifier then.

TeeMcBee

#10349 - 11/07/2000 18:37 Re: 2000 Jetta Question [Re: teemcbee]
ctadlock
stranger

Has anyone installed an Empeg into a receent (2000) Jetta? I would love to know the details.

Thanks in advance.

#10350 - 18/07/2000 14:20 Re: 2000 Jetta Question [Re: ctadlock]
doug316
journeyman

Check out my post:

http://empeg.comms.net/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=install&Number=10814&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

#10351 - 20/07/2000 01:55 Re: 2000 Jetta Question [Re: doug316]
jfranke

Won't work. Even though you could make youself a converter seperating the audio-input from the CD changer control wires, the radio expects a CD changer to be conneted when you switch to 'CD'. Since there is none, it can't talk to it via the bus and therefor will switch back right away, telling you there is no changer conencted.

anyways if you pull out the radio you will find a sticker at the back telling you the pin layout of the CD-changer conenctor. j.

#10352 - 20/07/2000 14:06 Re: 2000 Jetta Question [Re: jfranke]
ctadlock
stranger

So is there a way to hook up an empeg to the stock Monsoon deck and still have the CD player working? Has anyone done this?

Thanks
CT