Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#105392 - 16/07/2002 16:06 jEmplode 41
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
THIS IS EARLY RELEASE CODE. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I only stress this on this release because mirroring automatically removes nodes from certain playlists. Obviously if this explodes and goes insane, it could hypothetically delete other nodes. But I haven't had that happen -- I just want to be clear that this is called a prerelease version for a reason.

Support for mirroring soup playlists as player playlists
From the FAQ:

"Mirror Paste" is a special variant of the standard Paste (of Copy-and-Paste fame) command. Basically, you select a soup tree node (like "Artists/Albums") and press the copy command. Then go to a playlist somewhere on your Empeg and press the "Mirror Paste" command. In a moment (depending on the number of entries) you should have a light gray mirror of your soup playlist as a normal playlist. The mirror will not stay up-to-date dynamically like the other soups, but rather it will only update right after you hit the Synchronize button (just prior to syncing your other changes).
Note that this is a true mirror in that if you put other things into the mirrored playlists, they will be deleted when the mirroring occurs (i.e. to keep it in sync for added and removed entries in the soup). This is why they are grayed out. They will likely become read-only in a future release.

Also note that this mirror is basically a pointer to another location in your Emplode tree. That means that it only continues to mirror as long as its referent is still in existence. Basically this means that if you mirror the "Artists" soup, but then go and modify your soup settings and remove the "Artists" soup from jEmplode (using custom soup playlists), the mirror will no longer work (since there's nothing to mirror anymore). I will likely go back later and resolve this issue, but it will require a bit of a redesign of the way soups work inside of jEmplode so that the "soup logic" is reusable such that when something matches the soup criteris ("Artist=James Taylor") for a playlist, it can either create a fake playlist (ala old-school soup) or it can create Empeg Playlists (ala hot-new mirroring).

Support for cancelling a sync
Hit cancel during sync and it will stop after the current song is finished uploading. If people really want cancelling in the middle, it probably can be done. Playlists are synced at the end, so if you put new tunes in playlists but cancel in the middle, the tunes will be uploaded but their association with the playlists will likely not be there (so look in "All" Soup for them)

"colored" virtual tag that returns "true" if the node is colored
You know right-click "Mark as Colored" or whatever it is... this is a fake tag that you can search on in advanced search

"tracknumber" virtual tag that returns the first digits of the "tracknr" tag
If your "tracknr" tag is "14 of 20", "tracknumber" will return "14"

Fixed wendy flag/filter rename to use 1.3 rather than 1.4 API
whoops.

Set Playlist Order properly invalidates the current playlist node
the playlist tree view wasn't refreshing its order when you hit set playlist order (though it was working actually)

jempeg.playlist.columns renamed to jempeg.playlist.columnNames and uses tag name instead of index now
In .jempegrc, I stored your column preferences as indexes into a list. That was because the list was fixed before... Now with dynamic tags (i.e. you can just add new tags and sort on them, etc) that list is changing and the indexes aren't reliable. The downside of this is that your columns will reset now.

XML and CSV writers use ISO-8859-1 encoding
Yep.

Forgot to list this on the site, but Column Selector uses the "pretty name" of tags now too rather than the internal tag name ("Tracker Number" instead of "tracknr").

Mike

#105393 - 16/07/2002 21:48 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: mschrag]
rjf
journeyman

Loc: Oregon
Mike, both 40 (39?) and 41 seem to have broken the "Auto select if only one empeg found" startup option, at least at work. It used to work fine, and in fact there is only 1 empeg that shows up at work. I can select it, and it will connect. But even with the auto connect option on, it won't auto select the single empeg.

BTW, way to kick as on jempeg, it's become an amazing tool.

rjf&

#105394 - 16/07/2002 22:19 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: mschrag]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I'm seeing the same thing on Auto select too.. It looks like the checkbox is always checked but the jempeg.connections.autoSelect value in .jempegrc isn't being updated.

You can fix it yourself in the mean time while you're setting up your custom soups by setting jempeg.connections.autoSelect to true in there.

#105395 - 17/07/2002 01:11 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: mschrag]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
The "tracknr" tag shouldn't have anything other than the first number in it anyway. We don't support that part of the ID3v2 spec. Mainly because (IIRC) the tracknr field is an integer on Rio Central.

Suggest a tag name for the "of N" portion, and we might support it later. Moreover, the ID3 spec calls for "n/N", not "n of N".

#105396 - 17/07/2002 06:40 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: Roger]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Interesting to know ... I had no idea. So you're saying I should just grab the first number at import time -- can do...

Mike

#105397 - 17/07/2002 06:41 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: rjf]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I really redid a lot of the code for the selection screen to fix some threading issues and make it so you could change your options and have it (almost) immediately reload. I'll take a look at autoselect (I didn't realize anyone used that ).

Mike

#105398 - 17/07/2002 06:43 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: V99]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Oh .. now that's definitely interesting. Shame on me for not using more constants for jempegrc key names ... I probably missssspelled (I hate that word, since I invariable misssspell it) the name in one place.

#105399 - 17/07/2002 07:18 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: mschrag]
Squawkt22
journeyman

Loc: MA
I redid all of my playlist by mirroring the Soup views which is really nice so that I dont' have to drag and drop anymore. However, I mirred the Artists/Album, Genre, and Years and yet the Artists soup view is still created when I sync. All I want are the first three. Is there a way to make it not create the Artist mirror when it syncs?

#105400 - 17/07/2002 07:54 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: Squawkt22]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Oh crap.. I bet I know what it is ... I bet it's not checking to see that you deleted the mirror node when it goes to mirror (so you deleted the playlist, but it just keeps bringing it back to life each sync). I'll fix this tonight when I get home.

Mike

#105401 - 17/07/2002 07:58 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: mschrag]
Squawkt22
journeyman

Nice! Thanks... Rock on!

#105402 - 17/07/2002 16:55 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: Squawkt22]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I think I didn't understand your original problem ... I just did the following :

1) Made a random playlist "test"
2) Copy Artists + Mirror Paste into "test"
3) Copy Genres + Mirror Paste into "test"
4) Copy Years + Mirror Paste into "test"
5) Sync
6) Delete Artists Mirror
7) Sync

What I THOUGHT you were saying was that Artists wasn't going away when you synced, but it goes away for me, so you must be saying something different ... Can you give me a little more info on what you're seeing/asking for?

Thanks
Mike

#105403 - 17/07/2002 22:48 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: mschrag]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
So you're saying I should just grab the first number at import time -- can do...

Well... I'd prefer you stick to spec and allow n/N. From 4.2.1 of the spec:

TRCK
The 'Track number/Position in set' frame is a numeric string
containing the order number of the audio-file on its original
recording. This MAY be extended with a "/" character and a numeric
string containing the total number of tracks/elements on the original
recording. E.g. "4/9".

If you just grab the first number at import time, then I lose all my carefully set track tags if/when I export (and JEmplode supports re-tagging from the database). Of course, if I could specify which tag fields to replace from the database when a song is downloaded, this might not bother me so much...

(And if you meant just grab the first number on import when it's outside the spec, then you can ignore all this. )

#105404 - 17/07/2002 23:13 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: canuckInOR]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I didn't say that clearly ... What I meant is that I should grab the first number and call that "tracknr" and grab the second number and call that "tracktotal" or something like that. Then you would have access to both fields,so you could reconstruct the actual ID3 tag if you needed, but also get access to just the track number.

#105405 - 17/07/2002 23:16 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: canuckInOR]
Roger
carpal tunnel

What I'm saying is that the ID3 spec might allow for it, but we don't -- we're not ID3. If you want to save the "/N" portion, you'll need another field. Suggest one, and I'll make sure emplode supports it properly, too -- it's the work of 5 minutes.

Exporting the files can recombine the two fields. This is not a problem.

#105406 - 17/07/2002 23:17 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: mschrag]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Yeah, what he said.

#105407 - 18/07/2002 06:46 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: Roger]
Squawkt22
journeyman

What I did was delete all of my playlist structure from the Playlist folder. Basically all I had was Playlist folder > Artist Names > Album or songs. So I deleted that. I copoied the Artist/Album soup and mirror pasted it into the Playlist directory. Then I copied Genre and Years and did the same thing. Now when I sync again, it automatically adds another mirror to Artists. Now I know I didn't touch the Artists soup view so I didn't cause that. Does this make sense?

#105408 - 18/07/2002 09:07 Re: jEmplode 41 [Re: Squawkt22]
mschrag
pooh-bah

AHH .. I think I know what's going on ... The separator it uses internally for the unique ID of the thing you're mirring is a "/".. .Well "Artists/Albums" has a slash in it and I'm not escaping it, so when it parses, it's finding "Artists" and thinking you want to mirror that ... OK... Now I really do have it

Mike