Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#106165 - 12/08/2002 14:58 Re: empacman beta release [Re: snoopstah]
darwin
enthusiast

I'm with snoopstah about controlling with the knob. I'm very used to playing snake on my nokia phone with only two buttons, and would like to be able to play pacman with the knob. If that could be implemented in the next release, i'd be the happiest empeg owner in the WORLD!

#106166 - 13/08/2002 08:14 Empacman menu selection in Hijack [Re: avatarTX]

Loc: Dallas Texas USA
I am no rocket scientist.. or even a unix/linux user. But I am familiar with a thing or two.

Would it not be an easy task to edit whatever file HiJack uses in order that my empacman is always in the menu? I imagine I could look at the code and figure out the required syntax from the existing menu items.. but what file do I need to edit?

I am comfortable with my CHMODs and up/downloading so I am sure I won't mess anything up .. would it be that easy or is there something more to it that I am not aware of?

#106167 - 13/08/2002 09:15 Re: Empacman menu selection in Hijack [Re: avatarTX]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hijack has no such file describing the menu items. The menu items in the menu (restore visuals, calculator, screen blanker, etc.) are all hard-coded, though I believe there are config.ini options to hide them if you don't want them.

User apps are inserted into the menu by programatically "binding" to the menu. This means that in most instances, if there's an entry in the hijack menu for a program (empacman for instance) that means it's running in the background.

However, a program called launcher (do a search) has been written to handle this situation more elegantly. Launcher has a configurable file which lists your apps and how you want them started. It also requires another add-on called preinit which starts the launcher itself.

After setting preinit and launcher up properly (they're not easy for novice users, just to warn you) you should be able to have empacman available in the hijack menu whenever you want to play, which is I think what you're looking for.

#106168 - 13/08/2002 09:26 Re: Empacman menu selection in Hijack [Re: tonyc]
durden
journeyman

Loc: Texas
Has a patch been released for empacman to work better with launcher yet? ie. empacman doesn't attempt to bind to the menu when you select it from launcher, but rather just .. launches?

I know that the author of empsoko added a command line option '-l' to his; has this already been implemented in a similar fashion for empacman?

#106169 - 13/08/2002 09:53 Re: Empacman menu selection in Hijack [Re: durden]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Ah. Probably not, then.

I guess I should look into adding launcher support for my own apps as well.

Is empsoko source public yet so I can see how he did it?

#106170 - 13/08/2002 10:39 Re: Empacman menu selection in Hijack [Re: tonyc]
durden
journeyman

Loc: Texas
I don't think tman has released the source for empsoko yet.

Your best bet would probably be to just get in touch with tman, and ask him how he interfaced with launcher.. Or you could contact canuckInLA; he probably has a good idea how to get it working with his launcher.

#106171 - 13/08/2002 11:06 Re: Empacman menu selection in Hijack [Re: durden]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Thanks. There are so many new utils/apps/games that have been released recently that I'm having trouble remembering who all the players are... I sometimes struggle to remember all the empeg programs I'VE written.

Not that I'll feel like doing any of this myself until after I port all my apps to VFDlib, and not that I'll want to do that until the autumn comes and I start spending more time indoors...

#106172 - 13/08/2002 12:18 Re: Empacman menu selection in Hijack [Re: tonyc]

Loc: Dallas Texas USA
Since writing that last post of mine, I did happen across Launcher and other empeg utils. Yes, I was simply looking for a way to get my empacman to stay put in my HiJack menu.

I feel confident that I can install the utility apps that I need, its just a matter of sitting down, going over the instructions (Gasp!) and doing it.

Having a computer for a sound system is becoming more and more fun all the time!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4