Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10911 - 06/07/2000 05:12 miata installation
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
ok, with all this talk of ISO connections, i am sorta confused about what i need to install my empeg. i can install a normal car stereo myself with no problem. i just need to know what i need to order from crutchfield.

keep in mind however, that i already have a newer pioneer head unit installed that will serve as my amp (please, no audiophile flames :). can someone tell me what i need to get to make the empeg work (besides the rca cables. i'm not that stupid) in my miata along with my pioneer?

also, why am i listed as a newbie? i've been a bbs member for all most as long as its been around. o well...

thanks,

jeremy

oh, i wish i wish i had an empeg...

#10912 - 06/07/2000 05:40 Re: miata installation [Re: jstrain]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
Ok, firstly putting a second head unit in means you'll have to play with the wiring a bit... =)

As I've mentioned on another thread, my car didn't have an ISO power connector, so I bought a convertor...
This allowed me to split the power wires for the second head unit out of the wires in the convertor, and so leaving the car wiring in one piece (I only spliced the permanant 12v, switched 12v and ground) I then got another ISO car plug, and put that onto the spliced wires...

So what I ended up with is a Ford plug on one end that goes into the car, and 2 ISO plugs on the other end, one for my JVC head unit, the other for the Empeg Mk2.

If your car has an ISO plug already, then you'll probably want to build something similar, using an ISO socket, instead of cutting the car's wiring...

Anyway, it works for me, can be removed if I sell the car, and with heatshrink and self amalgamating tape looks like part of the normal wiring loom... =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 for sale 4 gig #30, apply within)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#10913 - 06/07/2000 08:56 Re: miata installation [Re: jstrain]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The ISO connector is the standard connector you find on almost all after market stereos. It's the one with two blocks - one for power and one for speakers. The empeg only uses the power block.

If your Pioneer is recent then it's likely that it already uses ISO connectors, in which case you need an ISO Y lead for the power block only.

Rob

#10914 - 06/07/2000 12:09 Re: miata installation [Re: jstrain]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
My miata (actually called an MX-5 in the UK) has an ISO for the power, ISTR that it's a 2-part one, so the empeg will plug onto half of it only.

Ah... your pioneer is probably already using the ISO for power, so you'll need a splitter (or just tap off power from the existing wires).

Hugo