Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#110341 - 10/08/2002 12:44 computer question
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
(no empeg content)
I was wondering if someone could help me with this.....
I want to be able to control one computer from another. I have a one win98se computer plugged into my home stereo and another in a different room, both on a LAN.
I have access to files, but they execute locally.
is there some no brainer app that will allow me to click, drag, whatever a file (mp3) from one computer and have it play on the other?

thanks,
dan

#110342 - 10/08/2002 13:22 Re: computer question [Re: lastdan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I don't quite get it when you say you have access to files, but they execute locally... I wouldn't expect installed programs to function across the machines, unless it's network "knowledgeable" application - still means you probably have to install part of it on the "second" machine... You could execute stuff on one machine and have it visible on the other - VNC, some of the remote admin/hacking/cracking tools...

But to simply be able to play mp3 stored on one machine on the other, simple file sharing should do - just "Map network drive" on the machine where you want to play the mp3 and point out the proper drive (or folder) on the other machine and it'll turn up as a drive letter.

/Michael

#110343 - 10/08/2002 13:28 Re: computer question [Re: mtempsch]
lastdan
enthusiast

I guess what I mean to say is from one computer, in say, the kitchen, I can click a file and have it play on the computer thats in the livingroom(attached to the home stereo).

#110344 - 10/08/2002 13:34 Re: computer question [Re: lastdan]
RobRoy
stranger

If you want free, check out a program called VNC.

If you want something a little easier to use, but not free, I would go with either Timbuktu or PcAnywhere.

HTH,

Rob

#110345 - 10/08/2002 15:01 Re: computer question [Re: lastdan]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
I assume you're using Winamp to play your mp3 files back?

If so, visit www.winamp.com and have a look in the Plugins/addons section for Winamp.

There are few 'remote' UI interfaces to Winamp, not sure about remote queueing which is what you are really trying to achieve.

Now, if you're not using Winamp, other than using winvnc I don't know of anything that will do what you want.

Of course I'm probably wrong and someone has written a Explorer (right Click menu) addin that lets you "send" a "play remote mp3 file" message across the network to your other PC.

#110346 - 10/08/2002 17:14 Re: computer question [Re: number6]
lastdan
enthusiast

VNC did the trick, thanks for the info.