Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11622 - 20/07/2000 23:41 Phone mute
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Just put thru B12b. Yaaaay phone muting. Owww, it don't work proper like.

I had the phone mute set to +12V and it only worked when I momentarily put the unit to sleep (while starting the car) the unit then went into phone mute, track still playing in back ground. Only problem was, the phone wasn't ringing or otherwise working!

I am not actually sure whether the phone connection does work (homework for me!) but this does seem to be a problem.
I do love the way it only goes to sleep when the IGN is off. It starts up faster than my Radio! Only wish that it would just stay asleep for longer before shut down. perhaps an hour or two. any longer than that and you are probably too far away from your car and should have the Empeg with you!

Murray 06000047

#11623 - 21/07/2000 01:39 Re: Phone mute [Re: muzza]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Murray,

Almost all car phone kits seem to use 0V mute - have you tried this setting instead?

Rob

#11624 - 21/07/2000 14:16 Re: Phone mute [Re: rob]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I'm about to. It just seems odd that the only time it mutes is after I start the car, and the Empeg is booted. I can even unplug the phone from its cradle and the mute persists.

I trust you have a test bench of sorts to check the state of the lines and programming?

Murray 06000047

#11625 - 22/07/2000 02:25 Re: Phone mute [Re: muzza]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Not really, none of us have a car kit. Actually, I only know one person with a car kit in any car nowadays, as handportables/small handsfree kits are so cheap now.

We can test it by connecting/disconnecting wires, but that's about it, hence the configurability. Current suspicions on mute involve needing a pull up/down resistor on the sense line to ensure that it goes the other way when the phone isn't in use.

Hugo

#11626 - 24/07/2000 05:34 Re: Phone mute [Re: altman]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
After some more testing of the mute wires it appears to mostly work correctly in beta12b. The only problem is that the software thinks the line is high when it is low and vice-versa. Until the next version is released you will need to invert the setting in emplode to make it work correctly.

The line floats low which means that if you have a phone sense that connects the line to zero volts you will need:

1. A 10K pull up resistor between the mute sense line and twelve volts.

2. Until the next release use emplode to configure the player for "mute player when input is +12 volts". After the next release set it to "mute player when input is 0 volts".

If you have a phone sense that connects the line to twelve volts you will simply need to configure the player for "mute player when input is 0 volts" until the next release and then "mute player when input is +12 volts" thereafter.

There is also a bug whereby the initial state of the mute line is ignored and will only be noticed when it or any of the other inputs (light sense, accessory sense, etc.) are altered. This is why turning the lights on can cause the mute indicator to appear.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)

Edited by mac on 24/7/00 02:01 PM.

#11627 - 24/07/2000 06:00 Re: Phone mute [Re: altman]
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

The Motorola car-kits are pull-down, so I guess you'll need a pull-up on the control line.

Regards,

[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>