Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11644 - 21/07/2000 03:54 Ripping for consumers
mrgray
new poster

Loc: Cambridge
I just did a search of all forums and found no mention of "modulartech" or "musicstore" so I'm guessing that this may be news to some of you:

MusicStore

This is a CD ripping engine with its own hard disk and a docking port for an MP3 player.

I'm sure that this thing is an easy target for audio quality and flexibility of use criticism but I firmly believe that this sort of thing is needed for MP3 to really break into the 'mass' consumer market. In fact I would have seriously considered getting one of these if it interfaced to the Empeg unit. As it was, when I brought my Mk1 I had to buy a PC before I could get any music on it!

.Peter

#11645 - 21/07/2000 04:01 Re: Ripping for consumers [Re: mrgray]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
It's an interesting Idea, and will probably be picked up by consumers, however, from the website...
In reply to:

Copy protection feature which means that tracks downloaded to SoulMate are unable to be played on MusicStore until erased from SoulMate.

Precisely how is this a selling point for a mass market player... =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 for sale 4 gig #30, apply within)

Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#11646 - 21/07/2000 04:01 Re: Ripping for consumers [Re: mrgray]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Things are afoot ;)

Hugo

#11647 - 22/07/2000 08:32 Re: Ripping for consumers [Re: Jazzwire]
Bruno
new poster

Loc: Berks., UK
> In reply to:

> Copy protection feature which means that tracks downloaded to SoulMate are unable to be played on MusicStore until erased from SoulMate.

> Precisely how is this a selling point for a mass market player... =)

I don't suppose it's as much a selling point as a means of avoiding getting sued by the RIAA. It sounds pretty similar to SDMI to me. And if it sounds like a bad idea, that's because it is. I am all in favour of artists protecting their rights, but SDMI is a _really_ bad way to do it. Which is hopefully why it isn't taking off.

Cheers,

Bruno
[email protected]

Bruno
[email protected]