Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#117414 - 22/09/2002 13:37 ethernet : beginners query
accept
new poster

Loc: Queensland, Australia
I am attempting to get my ethernet connection working.

I have a few questions i would like some help with , if possible. ( I know absolutely nothing about ethernet, as you will read)
I have installed a SMC EZ Card, model SMC1211TX is this card any good for connecting to empeg ??

Can i connect straight from computer to empeg with this card (with correct cable, of course) (FAQ says yes as i read it)

And the broadest of all questions - Some steps for getting ethernet running, if my gear is correct, would be helpful.

I know i am asking a very open question , but i have the card left over from my DSL days, and everyone seems to rave about ethernet so i thought i might as well have a go.

But i don't really know where to start.
Windows says drivers are installed, and that's about as far as i've gotten. (yes i know, useless, your probably saying)

Ok i've rambled on enough, in short any help with ethernet connecting would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Glen O

#117415 - 22/09/2002 14:03 Re: ethernet : beginners query [Re: accept]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Yes you *should* be able to get the empeg to talk to your ethernet card.
I assume you've read this FAQ

1. the card must support 10BaseT. it can be 10/100 autosensing.
2. you must use a crossover cable for direct connection
3. you should set an IP address through emplode using serial or USB before you can communicate.
4. you'll need you computer on the same IP network. Choose something easy like 192.168.0.1 for your PC and 192.168.0.2 for the empeg.

Once you've gone through this and read the FAQ you should be fine. If you still have problems let us know.

#117416 - 22/09/2002 14:05 Re: ethernet : beginners query [Re: accept]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
In general, you'll need to assign separate IP addresses (in the same subnet -- making one one more than the other should be fine) to both your computer and to the empeg (preferably in one of the 10.x.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x, or 192.168.x.x ranges). On the empeg, this can be done via emplode over either Serial or USB. As to your computer, it depends on your OS. So if you need help with that, let us know what you're running.

In addition, you'll either need to connect both the empeg and the computer to a hub or switch using normal ethernet cables or you'll need to connect the two directly using a crossover ethernet cable.

After getting those things set up, you should be good to go.

#117417 - 22/09/2002 20:15 Re: ethernet : beginners query [Re: wfaulk]
accept
new poster

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Thanks for the help guys,
My problem is i don't know how to change my computer's settings, IP address and such.
Where do i go to adjust those ??

I am running Windows ME

Can or should I chose any address, or just use one empeg says it is already??

Also, if all is set up correct, how do i actually connect via ethernet?? Do i just switch on computer and empeg and open emplode and i'm connected or what ??

As you can see, i am a bit out of my depth at the moment.

Thanks again !!
Glen O

#117418 - 22/09/2002 21:02 Re: ethernet : beginners query [Re: accept]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about ME. Someone will have to fill you in there, or you can search around for TCP/IP setting in control panels and such.

You'll need to set your empeg's IP address to one address and your computer to something similar. Assuming you have no other ethernet, good choices would be 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2. It'll also ask you for a netmask. Set it to 255.255.255.0 in both cases.

Once you have that set up, start emplode. In the ``Select Player'' dialog, click the options button and make sure that ``Network Broadcast'' is enabled. Then click OK to get back to the select dialog. You might have to exit and restart emplode for it to start searching again, but you should see it pretty much straightaway.

#117419 - 23/09/2002 10:24 Re: ethernet : beginners query [Re: accept]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My problem is i don't know how to change my computer's settings, IP address and such.

Control Panel.