Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#117420 - 22/09/2002 14:10 smbclient on empeg
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
wanted: smbclient on empeg. then emplode could tell the empeg to grab stuff from server instead of copying stuff to client, and then from client to empeg...

background: all my mp3 lie on my server, and my client to run empeg on is often my laptop, using a 2mbit wireless lan card... but the empeg is hooked on a 100mbit...

bye,
[L]

#117421 - 23/09/2002 09:15 Re: smbclient on empeg [Re: Lemmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
then emplode could tell the empeg to grab stuff from server instead of copying stuff to client

Installing Samba on the player would not help Emplode at all. You would have to rewrite the player software as well as emplode before that would work.

If you want to improve the transfer speeds to the player from your laptop, you can use USB which will be a little faster than the 2mb wireless card you're describing. But generally, the transfer speeds would be best if you were able to run emplode or emptool directly on the machine where the MP3 files reside and the empeg is plugged into a hub directly connected to that machine.

Do a search on the BBS on the word "samba", you'll probably find previous threads on the topic.

#117422 - 23/09/2002 09:50 Re: smbclient on empeg [Re: tfabris]
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
In Antwort auf:

Installing Samba on the player would not help Emplode at all. You would have to rewrite the player software as well as emplode before that would work.

true. but the impovement would be great.
In Antwort auf:

If you want to improve the transfer speeds to the player from your laptop, you can use USB which will be a little faster than the 2mb wireless card you're describing.

I don't think so. mp3 files are on my fileserver. empeg is connected to a 100mbit switch. emplode is running on my laptop which has only a 2mbit wireless lan.
So If I connected the empeg to the laptop with usb, the files would still have to travel that 2mbit connection...

So I'd like a version of emplode that (if a file is NOT on a local disk but on a network disk) would just tell the empeg to grab \\server\share\path\file.mp3 with a given username/password.

bye,
[L]

#117423 - 23/09/2002 10:08 Re: smbclient on empeg [Re: Lemmy]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Well, USB would help you out some... As it is now, the files come accross the wireless link, get processed by emplode, and go back over the wireless link. USB would save you the seccond traversal of the slow and congested wireless link. It would also defeat the entire point of having a wireless network. Perhaps you can run emplode over VNC/remote destop, or use mp3tofid?

While smbclient would be a neat hack, I don't think it's worth spending time on. Loading the player isn't something we all do on a regular basis. The idea is to hold your entire collection, not a subset that needs to be rotated. For the first few big syncs, just plug a cable into your laptop. Adding an album or two later isn't a big deal if the speed isn't blazing fast...

Matthew

#117424 - 23/09/2002 14:22 Re: smbclient on empeg [Re: Lemmy]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Options:

1) Use a wired LAN connection for your laptop when downloading.
2) Upgrade your wireless LAN equipment so that you get 11Mb/s to your laptop.
3) Use USB.
4) Run JEmpeg on your server, forwarding the X display to your laptop. Or, if your server is Micro$oft, use vnc.
5) Get the developers to completely rewrite an EOL piece of software to support an obscure scenario, thus reducing the already limited time that they have to fix and implement other (more) desirable stuff (eg. RDS, Ogg support etc).

Anyway, the improvement wouldn't be as great as you think - the empeg only has a 10Mb/s ethernet port.