Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11746 - 24/07/2000 12:13 EmpegUpgrade wishes for Roger
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So, Roger, do you maintain EmpegUpgrade, too?

Each time I do an upgrade, I keep telling myself to request this feature and I keep forgetting.

When you hit the "browse" button to go find the .upgrade file, it should default to the last folder you snagged an .upgrade from. I always put my .upgrades in the same folder, but I have to keep browsing for them each time I do an upgrade. I've tried adding a "starting directory" to the shortcut icon, but it didn't work right when I tried that.

And while we're on the subject of EmpegUpgrade...

I got a "bad pump response to device select" error, and I think it's because the Empeg was already plugged in when I ran EmpegUpgrade. Only by unplugging the Empeg until I was prompted did the upgrade work correctly.

What would be cool is if:

a) Upgrades could work whether the unit starts off plugged in or unplugged. It used to work this way, what happened?

b) Failing (a), then the upgrade shouldn't even be allowed to start unless the unit is unplugged. Currently, it lets you start the upgrade process and it seems to work and get most of the way through it up until that "bad pump response" error.

#11747 - 24/07/2000 13:21 Re: EmpegUpgrade wishes for Roger [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Ultimately, upgrades will happen via the standard protocol, so it can be done via serial, usb, or ethernet. If the unit is totally hosed, you'll have to use serial, but otherwise it can be done quicker and neater by USB or Ethernet.

There probably won't be a lot of changes to the upgrade procedure until that point, though.

Hugo

#11748 - 26/07/2000 06:31 Re: EmpegUpgrade wishes for Roger [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
So, Roger, do you maintain EmpegUpgrade, too?

Yeah, I guess so.

it should default to the last folder you snagged an .upgrade from

I looked at this problem. Interestingly enough, Windows 2000 does it automatically.
However, I've just implemented it for the benefit of those without W2k.

When you select a file to upgrade from, it's stored in the registry. Next time you pop open the Browse box, it goes to the correct directory, and selects the file. You can then choose a different file should you want.

If, however, you've already started typing a filename or path in the edit box, then you press the Browse button, it'll take you there, instead.

It should be in beta12c at some point this week, with a bit of luck.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#11749 - 26/07/2000 09:38 Re: EmpegUpgrade wishes for Roger [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I looked at this problem. Interestingly enough, Windows 2000 does it automatically.

Wow! I wonder how? Perhaps a new feature in the Common Control for the browse dialog I didn't know about? Sweet.

However, I've just implemented it for the benefit of those without W2k.

You rock! Everybody, three cheers for the new guy!