Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#118270 - 28/09/2002 09:12 New SUEDE album...??
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Just a quick post for all the MP3 downloaders out there...

Has anyone heard the new Suede album? Just want to know of any opinions with comparison to previous work. It's out here in Canada next week sometime. Went into a music store yesterday for the first time in a long time. Just happened to see a little news pamphlet or I don't think I would have found out about this album.

Bruno

#118271 - 02/10/2002 13:40 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: hybrid8]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
If I'm wholly honest, I'd have to say I'm less than impressed. I just bought it (NOT cheap) and it's not much of a progression.

If you liked the first album, then you probably will like this. If you liked the second, then this is not going to satisfy. The production and songwriting is a lot less self-indulgent and the recording is a lot clearer. However, it is a rather unfocussed album and I am not that happy about the fact that it is the 2nd re-hash of the first album. Dammit, when are they going to move on from the promising start they made?

I am going to listen to it over the next few days but first impressions are really not that good

Now if you want to talk about the latest Blur or Lightning Seeds, that's a different matter. Better still, go out IMMEDIATELY and buy the new Peter Gabriel ("Up") which is pure inspiration.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#118272 - 02/10/2002 14:19 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: schofiel]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Now if you want to talk about the latest [...] Lightning Seeds, that's a different matter.

Tilt? Or is there a later one?

Peter

#118273 - 03/10/2002 02:58 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: peter]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Tilt, with the new one out pretty soon.

#118274 - 03/10/2002 03:03 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: schofiel]
peter
carpal tunnel

the new one out pretty soon

Oooh!

Peter

#118275 - 04/10/2002 18:11 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: schofiel]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Ok, so now that's going to be three or four not so cheap albums I'll have to buy. I've been satisfied with Suede's releases over the years, including their previous, Head Music. "Electricity" was quite catchy and I still very much enjoy it. It's true they have not shown the progression of act such as the Charlatans, but that's not terrible in and of itself.

The last Lightning Seeds album I bought was Dizzying Heights. I thought it was brilliant and sounded just like candy. But that's just me. Now I have to do research to find out how I'll be getting ripped off for content here in Canada (like the Charlatans' Wonderland missing two tracks and the UK-import costing $40 Canadian (at HMV of course)).

I think I'll make a trip to the record shop this weekend.

Bruno

#118276 - 04/10/2002 18:21 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
FYI, pretty much everything mentioned in this thread is available only as an import in the US (not even missing-track releases), so at least $25US a throw, when it's available at all.

#118277 - 04/10/2002 18:26 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

But you guys have an unlimited supply of Britanny or whatever flavour of the month is playing on the radio. Actually, I think we're also exporting all of our Celine Dione discs down South too.

Canada (Southern Ontario) has always been very lucky with UK artists. There's a viable market here for artists that don't crack the Billboard lists in the US, so we get a lot of domestic releases that will never show up on US shelves. Though sometimes it just takes a few days or weeks before some titles are released in the US. I'm pretty sure Pulp's We Love Life was released Stateside, no?

Bruno

#118278 - 04/10/2002 18:39 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I have absolutely no idea what's playing on the radio, so I couldn't tell you. And can't you do something about making Celine shut the hell up? She said she was done once already!

Too bad Canada's so far away. There's probably a viable market for that sort of stuff in the US, too, but I guess record execs just don't want to risk it. I do remember when MuchMusic was on DirecTV before they started producing MuchMusicUSA (or whatever it is for us now). It was interesting to see what you guys are listening to up there that we've never heard of.

The Pulp album, as all their others, I think, was released here.

#118279 - 05/10/2002 04:05 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: hybrid8]
peter
carpal tunnel

you guys have an unlimited supply of Britanny or whatever flavour of the month is

Mmm, salt-meadow lamb, and all those shellfish! I'd love to have an unlimited supply of Brittany, or better still Normandy.

Peter

PS. I think you meant "Britney". But I've just read that Chicken thread and it made me all hungry...

#118280 - 05/10/2002 04:21 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: wfaulk]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

At $25, you are doing well. I have just paid E 44 (about 30 pound, or 40 odd dollars) for these!

#118281 - 05/10/2002 09:12 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: peter]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Wise-ass. How about less time finding anomalies in my top-40 artist spelling and more time making the "Plays" counter display on the player a configurable option? Hahaha. Of course, better still is to have templates for designing your own info screens. But now we're gteting off topic.

I have a lot of cleaning up to do around here before I can get out to find some of these new albums. I also have a few new purchases to rip and encode, but I might as well wait until I've bought a couple more.

Bruno

#118282 - 05/10/2002 10:33 Re: New SUEDE album...?? [Re: schofiel]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

In case you're ever curious, CDNow is pretty accurate for what you can find albums for in the US, about 85% of the time. Probably more so for imports. Of course, when you get to some artists who were apparently never really released in the US, it gets odd trying to figure out what's what.

For example, Suede shows three different versions of New Morning, which, according to AllMusic, is the new album. There's one for $26, one for $20, and one (which includes a bonus track) for $21. But the only other album they list, Suede, apparently their first, goes for $33.

The Lightning Seeds import albums range from $15 (oddly -- that's about the price of an average album) to $36.

So I guess we are better off, unless you've got a better selection over there....