Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#125914 - 13/11/2002 02:29 Copy protection - another worry
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
What happens if a DAB radio station or satellite plays a copy protected CD and you are recording the broadcast as an MP2 file, does it lose the copy protection, or won't it record it?

In the late 60's, when copying cassettes was going to ruin the record industry, the Beatles Apple records came up with a system where a tone on the vinyl interfered with the tape recorder. Unfortunately, it also interfered with broadcasting, so it was shelved quietly after about 10 minutes....

....let's just hope history repeats itself, but I'm not that hopeful!

#125915 - 13/11/2002 04:39 Re: Copy protection - another worry [Re: boxer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
What happens if a DAB radio station or satellite plays a copy protected CD and you are recording the broadcast as an MP2 file, does it lose the copy protection, or won't it record it?

It will remove any copy protection. It won't matter in the UK anyway, now that all the bitrates have be slashed to 128k...

I feel really sorry for those guys that spent 900 quid on DAB tuners when the bitrates were at 192k+

#125916 - 13/11/2002 06:39 Re: Copy protection - another worry [Re: andy]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Thanks for that, it's reassuring.

You may remember I, and others, are campaigning on the subject of BBC bitrates and have politicians and the media involved. You will find much correspondence at www.wavefinder.co.uk on a thread named "bit rates cut again" - but this extraordinary quote in a very recent letter to a colleague from the BBC is empathetic with your posting:

“The pursuit of more channels within the current allocation of multiplex
capacity has led to a reduction in subjective quality of output.
DAB no longer delivers quality that can be considered hi-fi when
compared with domestic CD reproduction.
Therefore, for the foreseeable future, FM will remain the medium more
likely to please you.
So far as the BBC is concerned, DAB has the potential to provide a more
robust result to mobile and portable receivers used by the majority of
listeners for most of the time.”

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I made the Radio Times alter their website to make it clear that no such thing as a portable DAB receiver exists and, reference to a DAB transmission map makes it clear that a car(mobile) receiver would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

#125917 - 13/11/2002 07:33 Re: Copy protection - another worry [Re: boxer]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I made the Radio Times alter their website to make it clear that no such thing as a portable DAB receiver exists and, reference to a DAB transmission map makes it clear that a car(mobile) receiver would be about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

There will be one very soon now:

http://www.simplyradios.com/acatalog/Home_Battery_pocket_radios_187.html