Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#12942 - 05/08/2000 15:56 Mk2 Clock Stuff?
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Hello,

I was just wondering if the Mk2 clock was actually functional? I know you can set the date/time in the Settings menu, but is the time actually displayed anywhere?

I might be incredibly blind and just missed it somewhere, but if it isn't, could it perhaps be added to some info displays? Or maybe if you hit one of the unused keypad buttons you can toggle a "Clock" info screen which just displays the current date/time?

Anyway, let me know if I'm on crack and the clock is already implemented. :)

Thanks!

(O|||||O)

#12943 - 05/08/2000 16:50 Re: Mk2 Clock Stuff? [Re: ClemsonJeep]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The plan was for the time to get displayed somewhere useful for release 1.0. I've got a player here running 1.0 and I don't see the time anywhere.. so I guess it's going to be a Beta 13 feature!

To make this clear, release 1.0 is going to be preloaded onto players from Monday onwards (players going out early in the week will be loaded with 12C because they were actually manufactured last week) and we will only change the preload version if there's an important bug fix or new consumer release.

In the mean time, Beta releases will continue to be posted to the web site on a regular basis - so players out of the box will be running stable software, but if you want the latest whizzy stuff you can download it.

Release 1.0, by the way, is essentially RC1 with a couple of minor fixes. It probably won't be worth downloading by those already running RC1, but will be worth getting by those on Beta12 or earlier. It should be up on the web site on Monday - keep an eye open for the announcement.

Everyone confused now?

Rob

#12944 - 05/08/2000 18:08 Re: Mk2 Clock Stuff? [Re: rob]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
In reply to:

Everyone confused now?

I'm generally confused most of the time...

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...

Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#12945 - 06/08/2000 10:30 Re: Mk2 Clock Stuff? [Re: rob]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
Rob,

Just my $0.02 worth... since MOST car-stereos (which would be getting replaced by an Empeg) have a clock... the clock "display" functionality probably OUGHT to be in 1.0.

Admittedly, the first 1.0 units that go out are going to be to geeks like those here, who will know how to upgrade their unit, but in reality, that's fairly basic functionality that should be there at the onset of release code.

My humble opinion.... personally I'm cool with waiting because I know I can upgrade... but just a "different perspective" to consider.

D

#12946 - 06/08/2000 13:15 Re: Mk2 Clock Stuff? [Re: rob]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I haven't been following the real time clock discussions very much. Will I have the option to turn the clock display off? The reason I ask is my car already has a good clock display in the dash and I don't like the idea of cluttering useless info on the screen.

Alex Lear

#12947 - 07/08/2000 09:28 Re: Mk2 Clock Stuff? [Re: alear]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
This is why I liked the idea of making it an option, maybe with a couple various options:

1.) Off
2.) On
3.) Bouncing between {info/text/visualization} and {clock} (at some configurable interval, maybe 5 second visualization, 1 second clock, maybe 5-seconds-clock, 2-seconds-info, depending on the user's preference)
4.) Adding a prolux visualization of different clocks (someone else suggested this, not me, but its a neat idea)... digital, analog, you name it, all pulsing around the screen.

Personally, I think all four should be options available to the user... "Off" will appeal to people who already have clocks, "on" will appeal to the type of people who leave their clock as their main display on their factory head units, "toggling" will appeal to those who want the clock-information, but also want the visuals or infos, and the prolux visualization will appeal to the inner geek.

Cambridge Crew? Any thoughts on the feasibility of these things? You're already 25% there ("Off" is done )

D