Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#132512 - 31/12/2002 11:21 I got a question about linux and dual booting
DisOrd3R
journeyman

Loc: Cleminton, New Jersey USA
I have a PC with Windows XP. I am looking 2 have it dual booted. I'm looking @ Linux as my other OS. Any advise about it?

Why would I do this? I am having a real problem with connecting 2 my player via USB under XP. I have tried 2 connect it via Ethernet, with no success.

That’s why I think I would B better off trying 2 make it a dual boot 2 Linux and XP. What R my options? What do U think?

#132513 - 31/12/2002 11:44 Re: I got a question about linux and dual booting [Re: DisOrd3R]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Loc: DFW Area, Texas, US
Do you have any other reason for wanting Linux other than to connect to your Empeg?

If not I think you should consider switching to another MS OS (USB connectivity works well in Win2K) as Linux generally takes some fiddling to get it working, especially the USB stuff (in my experience) and if you are having trobles getting Ethernet to work under XP, then moving to Linux is probably not going to be your solution (of course you could be a unix SysAdmin and just not know XP)

#132514 - 31/12/2002 11:50 Re: I got a question about linux and dual booting [Re: Chimaera]
DisOrd3R
journeyman

Any other need 4 Linux? No.

I hear that it is difficult 2 get a computer 2 dual boot. Is it?

#132515 - 31/12/2002 11:55 Re: I got a question about linux and dual booting [Re: DisOrd3R]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
Your numeric key license is hereby revoked

The hardest thing about getting a machine to dual boot is controlling where microsoft operating systems write their boot block. if you:
-partition first
-install the MS os second
-install linux 3rd, making sure to configure the boot loader correctly

it will just work. if you need to repartition an existing machine, get PartitionMagic.

#132516 - 31/12/2002 12:00 Re: I got a question about linux and dual booting [Re: DisOrd3R]
Chimaera
enthusiast

In reply to:

I hear that it is difficult 2 get a computer 2 dual boot. Is it?

That is a little like the how long is a piece of string question, it can depend on all sorts of variables such as how big the disk (or to be precise the partitions) is, what the OS's are, which partition they are on, etc.

I have in the past got dual booting to work on most machines I have tried it on, using either LiLo (the Linux Loader) or System commander (or something like that, I don't remember the exact name).

But overall I feel it would be easier to get Ethernet working in XP than to try and get a dual boot Linux machine up and running.

#132517 - 31/12/2002 12:03 Re: I got a question about linux and dual booting [Re: Chimaera]
DisOrd3R
journeyman

I guess i'll try connecting using Ethernet again. But I will need some serous help. I could not get it 2 work B4.

Oh well.

#132518 - 31/12/2002 12:07 Re: I got a question about linux and dual booting [Re: DisOrd3R]
Chimaera
enthusiast

Have you tried all of the steps in the FAQ? here

Let us know what happens with those and we will have a better idea of how we can help

#132519 - 01/01/2003 09:34 Re: I got a question about linux and dual booting [Re: Chimaera]
DisOrd3R
journeyman

THX, I will need a good crossover cable and a prayer 2 get this 2 work 4 me.