Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#13556 - 14/08/2000 00:16 Seeing spots... (was Re: playlists) [Re: Kureg]
kds
new poster

What does speaking ebonics have to do with "representin da black community"? Are you black? Just asking since it appears that you are fairly fluent and educated in ebonics.

Using your "logic", the drawl of southern whites must be the preferred speech pattern of those representing the white community, no?

MkII #080000085
MkIIa #040104267

#13557 - 14/08/2000 00:24 Seeing spots... (was Re: playlists) [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Politician thinking to self: "Hey, these kids aren't capable of learning English, so to pick up the GPA of our school district to make us look better, why don't we let them speak however they want and teach that in school?" How's that for a bright idea?

Still better then the decision in Kansas to stop teaching evolution. Dropping all religion arguments, all this does is not expose kids to all the possibilities of explaining one of the biggest questions out there. Or like teaching math with only +, - and * but no /. I just hope the public system improves quite a bit if I decide to have kids years down the road.

#13558 - 14/08/2000 00:41 Seeing spots... (was Re: playlists) [Re: kds]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
I hate to think this is going to turn into a racial thing, so I'm attempting to keep this on the up and up with a simple explanation of where the word ebonics stemmed from... the word EBONY, which is a hard black wood (Webster's) and can be used to describe someone of the black persuasion. Do white people know and speak ebonics? Absolutely! But, with the word ebonics deriving itself from the word ebony, it's fairly easy to see how it could be mistaken as referencing only someone who is black. I think that's where his explanation came from.

Conversely, I know plenty of blacks who speak with southern tongues... as well as Asians and Indians. What dialect you pick up all depends on where you grew up.

George

#13559 - 14/08/2000 00:44 Seeing spots... (was Re: playlists) [Re: drakino]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
Well said! I couldn't agree more. Kids should be given the right to choose. This was America the last time I checked... land of the free. If a kid is exposed to all possibilities, he'll (she'll) be able to make the most informed choice he can make.

George

#13560 - 14/08/2000 08:00 Seeing spots... (was Re: playlists) [Re: kds]
Kureg

In reply to:

What does speaking ebonics have to do with "representin da black community"? Are you black? Just asking since it appears that you are fairly fluent and educated in ebonics.

It was merely a representation of the dialect. Reference to black perhaps was a subconcious decision to indentify the original source of ebonics as well as provide a stereotypical reference to help support the tone and accents (since words do not always effectively convey their sounds, however most people are familiar with the language conveyed on TV by black gangsters or rap artists). I have no racial predjudice against anyone of any color.

I am not black, but if you examined my brain you'd swear I was green (and no, I'm not predjudiced against aliens either ).

Kureg

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2