Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#136453 - 22/01/2003 15:59 Now this _is_ off-roading...
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK

Crazy man. Just saw a clip on TV of a large 4x4 falling off of this rock, can't find it on the web though.

#136454 - 22/01/2003 16:05 Re: Now this _is_ off-roading... [Re: andy]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
A small bit of me is saying "what a lovely view; such a pity about the tyre-tracks".

OTOH, that looks like it'd be severely dangerous - even more so if it rained when you were at the top and had to get down

Hugo

#136455 - 22/01/2003 16:09 Re: Now this _is_ off-roading... [Re: altman]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
In the clip on the TV a large 4x4 (looked like some nasty SUV) slid all the way down the left hand side of the rock. Nasty.

#136456 - 22/01/2003 17:22 Re: Now this _is_ off-roading... [Re: andy]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I've seen that clip on one of those "Most insert adjective here Videos" shows. That was some harsh stuff to watch.

#136457 - 22/01/2003 17:44 Re: Now this _is_ off-roading... [Re: andy]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Ah! I lived (and mafisto too) underneath that for a week. It's overlooking a campground almost at the entrance to Sandflats and the Slickrock trail. We headed out a few years ago and camped underneath it.

The woman that ran the place was just in awe of people that did it, she had stories of the nearly annual "some dumbass drove off the edge" event, and could cite numerous instances where people literally went right off the side. Incredible amount of deaths out there, in fact while we were there, someone drove off the side of Gemini Bridges, a local even. The bodies were pulled up, but the jeep and it's contents were still there. They didn't know how they were supposed to get it out.

Anyhow - I may have some other pictures of the place, from the side. I may have a follow up post...

#136458 - 22/01/2003 18:28 Re: Now this _is_ off-roading... [Re: tracerbullet]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Ah! I lived (and mafisto too) underneath that for a week. It's overlooking a campground almost at the entrance to Sandflats and the Slickrock trail.

So where is that at? Looks like interesting country.

-Mike

#136459 - 22/01/2003 18:48 Re: Now this _is_ off-roading... [Re: mcomb]
tracerbullet
addict

Loc: Minnesota
Oops - Moab, Utah. Considered to be "THE" mountain biking capital of the world, also just very pretty. Arches and Canyonlands national parks are within miles, the Colorado river runs through it, if you like the US desert Southwest, it's great for a week or two.

I scanned the pics quick, they are a little big so I won't force them into this page. They are here: http://www.sallee.org/Greg/Moab/Big/camelback.jpg

Well, it's really more impressive in person. Here, you can analyze it and think it may not be so bad. But when actually there, you look up and think "you people are completely crazy!"

Attachments
135470-Camelback.jpg (81 downloads)

#136460 - 22/01/2003 18:50 Re: Now this _is_ off-roading... [Re: mcomb]
mafisto
journeyman

Loc: St. Paul, MN, USA
Moab, UT. The campground is Lion's Back -- I think it's named after the rock formation our intrepid morons are driving in the pictures.

And yes, the tire marks are kind of annoying. The Navajo sandstone in the area gives a nearly miraculous traction to tires, but with any traffic it becomes black. This sandstone, incidentally, is one of the reasons that Moab is heaven for mountain bikers.