Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14296 - 16/08/2000 22:26 Kenwood Remote Compatibility?
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Heya,

I recently purchased (off of Ebay) a Kenwood Car Audio RC-503 Wireless Remote ; problem is, I can't get this unit to work; I'm not sure if the unit is just bad, or if this doens't work w/ Empeg... Anyone know more about this?
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#14297 - 17/08/2000 11:53 Re: Kenwood Remote Compatibility? [Re: dionysus]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I don't know a thing about the 503, but I do have a RC-600 that seems to work pretty well. It has some pros and cons, though.

The layout of the buttons is far less intuitive for traversing menus, but I rather like the knob/button for that anyway. It does have the advantage of having the play/pause, skip, and ff/rew buttons in an arrangement that can be identified by feel.

It also has a SRC button instead of individual source buttons. This only presents a problem in that there's no CD-MD-CH button, so I can't change info displays without using the menu. The SRC button does cycle through MP3/AUX/FM correctly, however.

But, it has a redundant key...the ATT button is supported by the empeg as a duplicate of the play/pause button, even though it's a separate code. I think I asked Hugo to remap that to the info function, but it was in the midst of a longer conversation and quite a while ago...

It also seems to have some extra transmit power, it gets swamped by sunlight less in the Miata, and it has a longer range in the shade.

So, empeg... How about remapping ATT to CD-MD-CH instead of >/||?

-Zandr

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#14298 - 18/08/2000 11:41 Re: Kenwood Remote Compatibility? [Re: dionysus]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hmm..anyone know a more definitive answer? I'm about to send this remote back, but would hate to do that if there's nothing wrong with it...
-m

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units