Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#145844 - 25/02/2003 18:26 slimp3 with empeg
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I read the old thread from over a year ago about the slimp3, but I'm curious does anyone have any info on how well this product works with the empeg - if at all?

- trs

#145845 - 26/02/2003 11:52 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: trs24]
trs24
old hand

hmmmm - does the lack of interest in this thread mean that the slimp3 is a piece of crap?

- trs

#145846 - 26/02/2003 12:24 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: trs24]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think the lack of replies is because the question is a non-sequitr.

You're asking if an MP3 player from another company works with the empeg. What do you mean "works with"? They both play MP3s. What would you want them to do together?

#145847 - 26/02/2003 12:38 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: tfabris]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I think what he is looking for is the Perl server code can be added to the empeg, turning the empeg into an mp3 streaming server for the slimp3.
While I'm sure it is possible, I don't see any advantage over doing that rather then using a regular PC, which would have more disk space per dollar.

#145848 - 26/02/2003 15:17 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: tfabris]
trs24
old hand

They both play MP3s. What would you want them to do together?
The slimp3 can't play mp3's by itself. It's very similar to the rio receiver in that it is just an appliance to deliver a digital stream to a traditional home stereo system. But, it requires a perl server to be running on whatever system is housing the mp3's. My question is could the slimp3 interface with the empeg? If so, then I think the slimp3 could be pretty cool. I like the look of it much more so than the rio receiver.

- trs

Edited by trs24 (26/02/2003 15:31)

#145849 - 26/02/2003 15:27 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: Phoenix42]
trs24
old hand

While I'm sure it is possible, I don't see any advantage over doing that rather then using a regular PC, which would have more disk space per dollar.
I could just install the perl server on a PC, but I like not having to keep mirrored playlists. I'd rather just keep the empeg as my central source for delivering mp3's. Just a personal preference thing, I guess.

If no one on the bbs has a slimp3, then that's fine, I was just curious to hear from anyone who had one so I could hear thoughts on it.

- trs

#145850 - 27/02/2003 12:54 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: trs24]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
If no one on the bbs has a slimp3, then that's fine, I was just curious to hear from anyone who had one so I could hear thoughts on it.

If I get a chance tomorrow I'll go by the shop my friend works at, they sell them there, to try it out. If my current luck is any indicator, someone will [censored] something up again and I'll wind up at work on my day off.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#145851 - 27/02/2003 13:33 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: Heather]
trs24
old hand

Hey, thanks Heather!

I appreciate it! I hope nobody [censors] something up.

- trs

#145852 - 28/02/2003 08:21 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: trs24]
Heather
addict

I appreciate it! I hope nobody [censors] something up.

10:14 AM. THEY'VE BEEN THERE LESS THAN AN HOUR AND A HALF AND THE [censored] HAS HIT THE FAN ALREADY!

Just clearly tell me what you want to know if it can do and I'll send Mikey to work with my empeg next week.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#145853 - 28/02/2003 09:28 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: Heather]
trs24
old hand

10:14 AM. THEY'VE BEEN THERE LESS THAN AN HOUR AND A HALF AND THE [censored] HAS HIT THE FAN ALREADY!
Oh damn - I feel for ya!

Well, I'm not sure if it would be possible to find out exactly what I was hoping to find out from the store - because I'd imagine it would require quite a bit of perl hacking. But, idealy, I'd like to find out if the perl server for the slimp3 can work when installed on the empeg. Plus, I'd just like to get an idea from someone on wether or not the slimp3 is just worth a !*@% or not. It looks pretty cool - but looks can be deceiving.

I really, really appreciate your offer to go check it out, but don't feel like you have to on account of me. I'll live without the info. I know how hairy that IT stuff can be.

Thanks!

- trs

#145854 - 03/03/2003 13:20 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: trs24]
Heather
addict

I really, really appreciate your offer to go check it out, but don't feel like you have to on account of me. I'll live without the info. I know how hairy that IT stuff can be.

They're actually looking foward to trying. It's not you're average computer shop, there people are WAY too into their product (more than one guy on staff has a tatoo of the apple logo) and look for things like this to do.

That, and since they'd never even heard of an empeg till I went to pick Mike up from work and they saw it in the dash, they're looking foward to molestering that too.

#145855 - 05/03/2003 04:25 Re: slimp3 with empeg [Re: Heather]
thenominous

Loc: UK
Ive been demo'ing one for our company and have tried it with the empeg.
The slimp3 will do streaming so I took a copy of the URL's from hijack and put these into a playlist file on a PC for streaming from.
Ok, not exactly what you are after but it looked pretty kool to the person I was showing (off) to.

Ive been wondering about the perl thing myself. It seems that it uses limited functions but you are still going to have to run a hefty bit of code. I dont know enough about the empeg kernel to comment with any knowledge on this.

As for the slimp3, yeah, Id buy one, but it is expensive for what it is. Im getting well into to home automation and have looked at another product called the exstreamer which is much the same but without the screen. I dont need a screen when controlling from a PC or web tablet.

The slimp3 in the UK is priced way too high at £240, its $240 in the US, gotta love that 1:1 exchange rate! For that money I could put together an itx box with vfd screen, and stream to that with the same software. IMHO the software isnt killer like the empeg, tho better interfaces are under development.

If you do get one, make sure it comes with the newer custom slimp3 remote control, the older units shipped with a universal sony one.