Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146788 - 04/03/2003 14:00 Techno help
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'm not generally a big techno kind of guy. And don't fault me for my terminology here -- there are more terms and subterms in this area of music than, I think, there are bugs in the universe.

Anyway, most of what I've been exposed to I haven't really found that entertaining, as I'm also not a dancin' kind of guy, and a lot of that general category of music is pure repetition, which just isn't interesting for 5 minutes at a time if I'm not boucing off the walls with a lot of amphetamines in my system.

However, I bought the obviously techno Fight Club soundtrack (which I should have listed in our soundtrack discussion) a while back, and I really like it. But the Dust Brothers have only been producers before and after this, and very eclectic producers, at that, so I can't use that as a good reference. In addition, I don't know the proper terminology to reference it, and AMG constantly talks about how these terms are rather amorphous, anyway.

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some similar stuff. I'm not sure exactly how to describe it, even outside techno cant, but I can tell you that I do like the fact that it changes. It's still largely repetitious, as all techno (and, really, all music) is, but it kinda swirls around itself more than most I've heard. I also like its dark, brooding quality; I'm not really interested very much in happy dance music, but if you think of something specific in that vein that might appeal to me anyway, based on other things I've said, let me know. That is, don't take the darkness as a hard and fast criterion.

So, any takers? Samples would be appreciated.

#146789 - 04/03/2003 14:07 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I wouldn't call it techno... more electronic but I love Fluke... Oto and Risotto are both really really good albums. Fluke is also frickin great for driving...

#146790 - 04/03/2003 14:10 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

In reply to:

But the Dust Brothers have only been producers before and after this

Actually if you do a little digging you'll find that the dust brothers are also known as the chemical brothers (which I didn't believe at first due to the difference in music style)... I don't care much for the newer chemical brothers albums but the earlier stuff was great setting sun and prior.

#146791 - 04/03/2003 14:20 Re: Techno help [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Ummm. I'm pretty sure you're wrong. The Dust Brothers are John King and Mike Simpson, while the Chemical Brothers are Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons.

Oh. It looks like the CB stole the DB name until the DB found out, at which point, they changed. Still, not the same folks.

#146792 - 04/03/2003 14:21 Re: Techno help [Re: lopan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Chemical Brother and Dust Brothers are NOT the same people.

The Chemical Brothers USED to be called the Dust Brothers when they first started but they changed it quickly because of the producers with the same name. They've never used that name since.

EDIT: For that dark, non-repetitive sound, try Crystal Method's "Vegas" CD. Or try "Death In Vegas" (band name). Kinda weird how all the names blend together I know.. There is stuff darker for certain, but I asked my resident electronic guru and he recommended those two CD's for someone how likes the Fight Club soundtrack. They aren't the more experimental sound which is hard to grow a taste for.

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (04/03/2003 14:25)

#146793 - 04/03/2003 14:22 Re: Techno help [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I wouldn't call it techno... more electronic but I love Fluke
So are you saying that the FC ST isn't techno, but electronic, or that Fluke is? Or both?

Are you basing your suggestions on my preferences, or just on what you like? I don't mean to be a jerk; I'm just having a hard time deciphering exactly what you're telling me.

#146794 - 04/03/2003 14:35 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

Damnit... Me and a friend had this same argument... I stood by my word that the Chemical brothers and the dust brothers were different... then he pulls out about 4 different web sites claiming that they are one in the same... I eat my words and accept that they are the same, he gloats. Now 2 months later I'm finding an assload of resources that are telling me what your telling me... Where were these resources 2 months ago??? I hate lookin like a chump on my favorite bbs...

You are right!

#146795 - 04/03/2003 14:40 Re: Techno help [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
lopan
old hand

I agree... Crystal Method is also great, "Vegas" is awesome, "Tweekend" is OK as well (not as good as Vegas).

I'd have to say "Fluke" is along those same lines only in my opinion not as dark.

#146796 - 04/03/2003 14:41 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Listening to the soundtrack now... I'm leaning towards the Propellerheads. They share that jazzy feel, but are not as stripped down nor as dark. So if the swingin' electro sound is what you like (listening to Fight Club track 5 now) give it a listen.

(I'm asking around to more people now.)

#146797 - 04/03/2003 14:51 Re: Techno help [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Damn, I need to get some Propellerheads albums...

#146798 - 04/03/2003 14:56 Re: Techno help [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

albums
That's problem number two with Electronica (I think I at least need to get my top-level term correct, huh?); they have a real inclination to release a bunch of singles and no albums, or thenan album that no one likes and is claimed to be not representative, which makes it pretty hard to gather. I'm not really inclined to spend US$7 on one song remixed four times.

#146799 - 04/03/2003 15:18 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

In reply to:

So are you saying that the FC ST isn't techno, but electronic, or that Fluke is? Or both?

Well when you say techno it reminds me of this. I have at least 20 gigs of this generic techno garbage on my empeg, finding good electronica is a pain. Fluke is techno-like but not generic redundant electro snot that one thinks when you hear the word "techno". So I think I'm on the same wavelength with you... Propellerheads as mentioned above is great as well (velvet pants is a great track).

Another one that struck me as very similar as the music on the fight club soundtrack is Luke Slaters Wireless album...

This would be my list of all time favorite
1. Fluke: Oto
2. Paul Oakenfold: Tranceport
3. Crystal Method: Vegas
4. Don't know if you'd call it techno electronica or what but Prodigy: Fat of the land....

#146800 - 04/03/2003 15:25 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Well, I haven't listened to that album, but if AllMusic.com is right about calling it Trip-hop, I have all kinds of suggestions. Trip-hop is generally dark and brooding, much slower than Techno, but with heavy beats, is more melodic and lyrical, and less repetitive. The quinessential brooding Trip-hop is Portishead, try their album "Dummy". Massive Attack is also firmly in that category, or the slightly less dark (and one of my personal favorites) Morcheeba; try their "Big Calm" album. The Sneaker Pimps' "Becoming X" is also quite good, but approaches pop.

This is a genre I have liked for a while, and am making a huge effort to dig deeper into it at the moment.

BTW, all the bands I have mentioned are fronted by women. Chicks rule.

#146801 - 04/03/2003 15:28 Re: Techno help [Re: ninti]
lopan
old hand

In reply to:

but if AllMusic.com is right about calling it Trip-hop

They labled my signifigant others Macy Gray albums as Rap....

#146802 - 04/03/2003 16:24 Re: Techno help [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Nuts. I had to wait 'til my drive home before I could listen in-depth. I can never remember which tracks are which, especially on this album (there are seeming track transitions within tracks and then tracks that flow into each other with no noticeable change).

I'd have to say that track 5 (Corporate World, right?) is the least exemplary track of the album, and certainly the least exemplary of what I'm looking for. There is a jazzy feel to the rest of it, but it's not nearly that upbeat. If you have access to it, my favorite tracks are probably tracks 10 and 11 (Stealing Fat and Chemical Burn), especially the transition around 0:55 into Stealing Fat, if that gives you an idea of what I'm looking for. Not that the slower stuff is actively not what I'm looking for, but I really get into the heavy stuff they do on the album. Then again, it probably wouldn't work at all without the slower stuff as counterpoint.

#146803 - 04/03/2003 16:50 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I know what you mean about the transitions.. I was caught off guard by some of those too.

Have you seen the movie Pi? If you like the atmosphere of that film, its soundtrack is one of my all time favs. For being a compilation of various artists, it has a consistant sound and demention to it. Too bad we don't have cdnow.com anymore for sampling these things huh?

Listening to more of the CD, it seems you may like Massive Attack's trip hop masterpiece "Messanine". Most of the songs have vocals to them, but if that doesn't put you off, I think you'd like that.

Another one to consider is "Theivery Corporation's" "Mirror Conspiracy". It is an excellent CD and doesn't have vocals.

#146804 - 04/03/2003 17:06 Re: Techno help [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Have you seen the movie Pi?
Yeah. I went to see it ``opening day'' by myself. I couldn't find anyone else to go with me. Love it. Own the DVD. Always meant to grab the soundtrack. I might do that. (I do seem to remember that I was at one point put off by the fact that the approximation of pi in the background of the cover was correct for about five decimal places -- fewer than I know at any time -- out of, probably, hundreds, and may have been pissy and decided not to buy it at the time based on that.)
demention
Ha! I think you meant dimension, but I like that pseudo-Spoonerism. It accurately describes, I think, what I'm looking for.

I'll check out those suggestions. If I can find a couple of tracks online to try, can you tell me which tracks you think are the most representative of the albums?

#146805 - 04/03/2003 17:16 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
visuvius
addict

I would definitely check out the already mentioned Propelleheards, Portishead and Massive Attack.

The light of my life right now however is Lemon Jelly. Their (relatively) new album Lost Horizons is just amazing. Its not quite along the lines of Dust Brothers or Oakenfold, but its worth a listen. Check out the track Page One, by Lemon Jelly.

Also, I just discovered Royksopp. They're this band from Norway with a few really interesting tracks off their album melody A.M. Check out the video for Remind Me.

#146806 - 04/03/2003 17:39 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Future Sound of London.

Dark and moody industrial techno is probably the best description I can think of.

Check your PM.

#146807 - 04/03/2003 20:26 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Underworld

#146808 - 05/03/2003 02:39 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Orbital

They're quite varied, but generally very listenable. For slightly more challenging stuff go for The Orb or Lamb.

Plug

Paul

#146809 - 05/03/2003 02:54 Re: Techno help [Re: wfaulk]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
There times when only a fix from the Aphex Twin will do.... I find 'Come to Daddy' very useful on a long stretch of motorway especially when it's played with no output attenuation

Andy M

#146810 - 05/03/2003 03:23 Re: Techno help [Re: visuvius]
simspos
enthusiast

Loc: Dudley, UK
Yep, I'm with you on Royksopp - Highly recommend everyone buys their album (melody A.M.) & makes them rich - very chillout (without being dull), very musical and overall a very refreshing album receiving massive support on UK radio from those DJ's & presenters who know their sh*t.

As to some selections for Bitt,.... these all fall into what I would call the "intelligent techno / trance" category, except Leftfield who are....... just Leftfield (damn those contantly changing dance genres, grrr!)

Cosmosis (their "Cosmology" album is a techno classic, if you like swirling you'll love this)
Flying Rhino (this is actually a record label but any of their releases qualify especially "First Flight" & "re-evolutiuon")
Leftfield (AWESOME is all you can say, "Leftism" and later "Rhythm and Stealth" are classics)
Paul Oakenfold (his earlier stuff is inspired, especially "A Voyage into Trance")

Cheers, Sim

#146811 - 05/03/2003 10:17 Re: Techno help [Re: simspos]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, leftism is simply brilliant. R&S good, but not as IMO. (Bitt - if you want samples...)

If you like Oakenfold and intelligent techno mixes, then you will probably find that 'Sasha and John Digweed' also hit the mark. In particular, 'Northern Exposure' (released in 1994) contains possibly the most wonderfully composed ambient techno mix I've ever heard;

satelite_serenade__keiichi_suzuki.mp3
cascade__future_sound_of_london.mp3
these_waves__young_american_primitive.mp3
raincry__god_within.mp3
out_of_body_experience__rabbit_in_the_moon.mp3
im_free__morgan_king.mp3
ultraviolet__kites.mp3
obsession__fuzzy_logic.mp3
water_from_a_vine_leaf__william_orbit.mp3
liquid_cool__apollo_440.mp3
last_train_to_lhasa__banco_de_gaia.mp3

You should also consider 'Renaissance - The Mix collection' (also 1994) which is regarded as a classic and ebays for over $100 in good condition, although this is a dance mix, (ie happy and bouncy, not dark or mellow)

#146812 - 05/03/2003 10:39 Re: Techno help [Re: genixia]
simspos
enthusiast

Yeh, I'm with you, I'm with you - I've got the first Northern Exposure as well as Renaissance 1 & 2 (both triple CD sets) and they are magnificent.

If that's your thing, you should also check out some of the mixes by Danny Rampling like his "Love, Groove Dance Party" series (but throw CD1 in the bin and go straight for CD2 which is his trance mix).

Also, look out for anything on REACT Records, REACTIVATE 9 onwards (I think they're up to about 19 by now) excellent techno

In fact, time to go listen to some myself.

Cheers, Sim

#146813 - 05/03/2003 11:51 Re: Techno help [Re: genixia]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
ebays for over $100 in good condition

Whoa, I didn't realise it was worth that much. Unfortunately, my copy isn't in spectacular condition, but I'm definitely going to look after it now.

Seconded on the 'Sasha and Digweed' thing, though. You might (if you can find it) want to check out "Essential Mix Vol 1", which was mixed by Sasha and Oakenfold.

#146814 - 05/03/2003 12:22 Re: Techno help [Re: Roger]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Another worth listening to is a group called "Autechre". Very cool micro beats kind of thing.

Also, check out: Bjork's "Vespertine" and Everything But the Girl's "Temperamental" & "Walking Wounded". Awesome stuff.

- Jon

#146815 - 05/03/2003 13:04 Re: Techno help [Re: jbauer]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
a group called "Autechre"

...who once released a CD that contained absolutely no repetitive beats, as a protest against the Criminal Justice Bill in the UK.

#146816 - 06/03/2003 06:20 Re: Techno help [Re: Roger]
simspos
enthusiast

Unfortunately, my copy isn't in spectacular condition

Which roughly translated means.... "I've listened to it in some spectacular conditions"

#146817 - 06/03/2003 07:12 Re: Techno help [Re: Roger]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Unfortunately, my copy isn't in spectacular condition

Nor is mine - I finally managed to pick up a copy for a bargain $61 - it was listed as having minor scratches on disc 3. cdparanoia managed to rip it, but unfortunately with clicks on a couple of tracks. If anyone could burn me a CDROM of disc 3 I would really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >