Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#147717 - 09/03/2003 15:59 Windows XP Multi Monitor Usage
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Ok,I'd do my own research, but my ADSL net connection has been the shits all weekend (note, not to be confused with "the shit"). I can connect fine peer-to-peer and IM, but a large number of websites can't be accessed and an even larger prcrentage just load far too slowly (eventually timing out, etc...) For reference, if anyone is in Canada, stay away from AEI.ca (http://www.aei.ca) - $30 per month unlimited ADSL, but far too frequently goes down completely or this happens.

Since I can't access google right now, here are some questions:

Photoshop: Has anyone else tried using it with an Extended desktop in Windows XP? When putting its window or palettes on the extended desktop (secondary monitor or TV), they don't redraw. Plus, clicking on any element in a palette on the extended desktop causes that palette to pop back to the primary monitor. If this is normal for Photoshop then a big "boo" to Adobe. Get with the program. If this isn't normal then I'm going to have to kick someone's ass at work to fix our drivers.

Does anyone know of any programs or hacks to allow me to put a background picture on the secondary (extended) display that is different from the one on the primary display? It looks completely stupid having the same picture repeat which is default. Not to mention that the one on the secondary display does not shrink to fit that dsplay's resolution (it uses the prmry display's resolution and just shows you whatever is visible within the screen res for that display (ie. 1024 on primary and 800x600 on secondary showing the middle portion of the primary picture).

Thanks for any help. Trying my hardest keeping it off topic.

Bruno

#147718 - 09/03/2003 16:24 Re: Windows XP Multi Monitor Usage [Re: hybrid8]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA

Photoshop: Has anyone else tried using it with an Extended desktop in Windows XP?

I happen to have my laptop setup right now with another monitor for an extended desktop while I'm coding. So, I figured I'd try and see if Photoshop gives me any problems. The answer is: nope. It works fine, everything draws OK, with the main window or tools on either screen. For reference, I'm using Photoshop 7, and the video card in this laptop is a 16mb ATI Mobility Radeon (I have a Dell Latitude C610) with driver version 6.13.10.3293.

As for the different background picture on each display, I don't know, but if you find out I'd be interested in the answer.

Oh, and I'm running Windows XP Professional SP1.

Edited by ricin (09/03/2003 16:35)
ricin.us

#147719 - 09/03/2003 16:35 Re: Windows XP Multi Monitor Usage [Re: hybrid8]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

#147720 - 09/03/2003 16:37 Re: Windows XP Multi Monitor Usage [Re: tonyc]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Sweet! If I wasn't so lazy and did a little Googling, I probably would've found that too.
ricin.us

#147721 - 09/03/2003 18:05 Re: Windows XP Multi Monitor Usage [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Thanks Tony.

Seems like a good replacement for our Hydravision. A bit expensive at $40 though (for personal use). Anything else that provides just the desktop background ability? Though I do like some of the other unique features mentioned on the site.

Some things should really be present in Windows by default (like backround picture control for multiple monitors and the ability to stretch or mak a new taskbar)

Bruno