Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#148933 - 16/03/2003 23:21 Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
A few hours ago, I left Wilmington, NC from a weekend vacation. Wilmington happens to be the east-coast terminus of I-40, and as I was leaving town, I was amused to notice a typical green distance-to-destination sign that showed the remaining distance to Barstow, CA (the west-coast terminus of I-40) to be 2,524 miles.

I was vaguely curious if there was a similar sign just outside Barstow showing the distance to Wilmington. If there's anyone in the Barstow area, the sign on the Wilmington side was within a few miles of the start of I-40.

And, since I'm talking about roadside signs, I saw one of the weirdest signs ever (it even beats the ``No driving on sidewalks'' signs in Chapel Hill). Driving down a state road from Wilmington to Southport, the areas around which are largely uninhabited, all of a sudden, there was a lone sign marked solely ``Do not mow''. Were people randomly driving their lawn mowers thirty miles down the road just to mow the shoulder of this road? And, if so, why does the government specifically want them to stop? I should have brought my camera.

#148934 - 16/03/2003 23:39 Re: Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC [Re: wfaulk]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

I see those signs all the time (Do Not Mow) its usually for private residences that dont want the state/county/city to mow their property. The weirdest signs ive seen are. Donkey crossing in Hawaii, Diamondback Terrapin Crossing in Tybee Island, GA and tank crossing somewhere in GA.

#148935 - 17/03/2003 04:59 Re: Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC [Re: wfaulk]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I'm not often in that part of the world anymore, but, in the River Trent, at one time, was a pole which seemed to be for the sole purpose of carrying a sign saying " Do not tie your boat to this pole".

We have: " frogs crossing" and "give way to red squirrels"

#148936 - 17/03/2003 06:25 Re: Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC [Re: wfaulk]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
"Do not Mow"

I have seen these in the median where seedlings have recently been planted. But I like you explanation better ;-)

#148937 - 17/03/2003 08:25 Re: Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC [Re: wfaulk]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
We also have tank crossing (actually slow tank crossing), but also hedgehog crossing, troops crossing and my favourite, sniper at work (I assume they mean sniper training).

Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#148938 - 17/03/2003 08:54 Re: Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC [Re: mdavey]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
sniper at work (I assume they mean sniper training).

Not in Northern Ireland, but then those signs weren't put up by the local council/goverment.

#148939 - 17/03/2003 09:17 Re: Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC [Re: Phoenix42]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
One of my favorites was a lone sign in a vacant lot down the street from my apartment that simply read "Do not remove this sign." I wanted to take a picture of it for weeks but never remembered to bring my camera. And apparently someone didn’t heed the sign's request because the sign was gone a few weeks later.

Also, I know it's fairly common to have "Wrong Way" signs at the ends of on-ramps and exits in most places. But in New Mexico, we have "Wrong Way" signs posted every few miles in the medians on most stretches of highway. I always find that mildly humorous and terrifying at the same time.

- trs

#148940 - 18/03/2003 22:10 Re: Barstow, CA to Wilmington, NC [Re: wfaulk]
lockuplever
enthusiast

Loc: Tucson, AZ
I have not made the turn onto I-40 in awhile, but there was not a sign like that in the past, however the intersection of I-40 and I-15 (where I-40 begins......or ends) has been under construction, and the sign may be part of the upgrade. I'll keep my eyes open.