Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#153620 - 07/04/2003 07:55 Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Bugger !

Spent £1600 on a lovely new EOS-10D and lens on Saturday and today I get laid off. What timing...

The company I have been working at for the last 5+ years (Onyx Software) has had another knightmare quarter, so it's finally time for all us contractors to say goodbye. I guess five and a half years isn't too bad for a short term contract though !

So if anyone needs an Intranet/Extranet (mostly IE/IIS) architect/developer contractor in the Surrey/Berks/Hants/Sussex area, let me know...

The shock of realising I'm not going to be working with the same team I have known and loved for the last five years is far more disturbing than actually losing the contract.

#153621 - 07/04/2003 08:02 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: andy]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Sorry to hear that.

I hope you'll find a new, hopefully as good, and preferably better job soon.

#153622 - 07/04/2003 08:08 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

preferably better job soon

The chances of me finding a job with a comparable working enviroment is very slim I'm afraid. Laid back doesn't even begin to describe our team. I'm really going to miss being able to come and go as I please and just being trusted to deliver rather than being checked up on all the time...

#153623 - 07/04/2003 08:18 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: andy]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'm really going to miss being able to come and go as I please and just being trusted to deliver rather than being checked up on all the time...
So it seems you weren't really working these last five years; sounds more like a long dream .

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about this. I had to go from a very comfortable team and casual dress to a more corporate environment (in which I now wear a tie to work). The worst part was not working with another programmer (who was an empegger BTW) who thought so much like me that you couldn't tell our code apart. It was nice while it lasted though.

#153624 - 07/04/2003 08:50 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Spent £1600 on a lovely new EOS-10D and lens on Saturday and today I get laid off. What timing...
Perfect timing, it sounds like. I mean... If you'd been laid off on Friday, you probably wouldn't have that nifty new camera, would you?

so it's finally time for all us contractors to say goodbye
You ought to all join up together and start your own consulting firm...

#153625 - 07/04/2003 08:57 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: andy]
leftyfb
enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
I also got laid off on Friday. Anyone looking for a Network Administrator in NorthEastern Massachusetts/Boston area?

I'm also trying to start my own business doing home networking/consulting and web hosting on the side.

#153626 - 07/04/2003 09:10 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Perfect timing, it sounds like. I mean... If you'd been laid off on Friday, you probably wouldn't have that nifty new camera, would you?

Yeah, I've been trying to look at it that way. Mostly today though I have been wandering around looking very dazed.

You ought to all join up together and start your own consulting firm...

It's something we talked about. I can't see it working though, we're all too nice to each other to actually work for each other without some high authority giving us some general direction...

We'd need to poach all the permies as well for it to be viable and that would leave our other team members (the ones in the US) in a nasty situation. It's a shame, because we are such a good team.

#153627 - 07/04/2003 09:15 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: JeffS]
andy
carpal tunnel

I had to go from a very comfortable team and casual dress to a more corporate environment (in which I now wear a tie to work). The worst part was not working with another programmer (who was an empegger BTW) who thought so much like me that you couldn't tell our code apart. It was nice while it lasted though.

I know how you feel. We had seen lots of crappy/unpleasant developers (both contractors and permies) pass through the team over the last five years, with just the competant/fun ones staying. I really can't believe that in a month's time I'm not going to be sitting down and having laugh with these people five days a week.

I'm very sad today

#153628 - 08/04/2003 08:20 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: andy]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
The shock of realising I'm not going to be working with the same team I have known and loved for the last five years is far more disturbing than actually losing the contract.

Sorry to hear that. I know how you feel, I miss the guys I used to work with terribly. I have to work with morons now.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#153629 - 08/04/2003 10:47 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have to work with morons now.
Morons who, you hope, don't read this BBS.

#153630 - 08/04/2003 11:48 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: andy]
fede
journeyman

Loc: Texas
That is terrible, it is no fun having to find another job. Surely there must be some one here on the board that knows of someone hiring in your area. Anyway, good luck.

#153631 - 08/04/2003 14:13 Re: Buy expensive camera Saturday, laid off on Monday [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Morons who, you hope, don't read this BBS.

No, I've actually started calling them on their incompetence and stupidity. You wanted to work with a bitch, you got it.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony