Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#155814 - 24/04/2003 09:34 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Assuming that you have lights, I suggest that you figure out a way to install brights to flash at the oncoming traffic. Maybe something like one of these.

#155815 - 24/04/2003 09:37 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: peter]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
You can't see me, but I can see you....
Something you definitely never want to hear emanating from the darkness. Particularly in Central Park.

#155816 - 25/04/2003 09:25 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: tonyc]
BleachLPB
enthusiast

Loc: Maryland
But really, saying that because SUV's blind people, that regular cars with HID lights should also be allowed to blind people... That's not sound logic

No, thats not what I said. I said that oftentime I think an oncoming car has its brights on and it turns out to be a truck or an SUV - with normal, non-HID lights. More regulation? What about all the people that buy aftermarket fog lights, like PIAAs? Yes, I agree, its annoying being blinded by HID lights or non-HID lights. HID lights can be regulated until they're no brighter than 2 candles - but what about SUV's and trucks? And no, this isn't meant as a slam or bash on SUVs themselves - but are there going to be regulations to build the headlights lower on the front? What about plows? I could go on...

My point is that yes it is annoying but deal with it. Unless if anyone has any statistics of accidents caused by blinding by headlights? Could that be narrowed down to accidents attributed to HID lights? What about some yahoo driving down the road with their brights on - which in my opinion is far worse. Accidents caused by blinding is a very valid argument, but has it been mentioned?

Just my $0.02.

#155817 - 25/04/2003 09:28 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: BleachLPB]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Accidents caused by blinding is a very valid argument, but has it been mentioned?
I think it's implicit. We aren't complaining because we think it's unattractive.

#155818 - 25/04/2003 09:35 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: BleachLPB]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

but what about SUV's and trucks?
My point is that yes it is annoying but deal with it.
I guess you didn't read my post carefully. I'm in favor of regulations on SUV's, trucks, etc. as well. I don't have statistics, I don't have studies, I just know that I've personally been near-blinded while driving by both HID lights and SUV's with conventional lights. I would like to see regulation on how bright these damn things can be, SUV, HID, or otherwise.

The only other point I was trying to tack on is that the HID lights are new, and maybe they need special regulation due to the different "kind" of light they throw. There seems to be something about them in particular that's got magazines writing about them, not to mention us complaining about them.

The "it's annoying but deal with it" comment I'm going to just let go, because you probably didn't mean it to be as arrogant as it comes off sounding in your post.

#155819 - 27/04/2003 02:23 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: tonyc]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
I have been told that the police here in Western Australia will book people having HID spotlights (eg. Hella Predators) fitted to anything smaller than an eight ton truck. Apparently this is to stop the wankers who drive around the suburbs in their 'weekend warrior' 4wds with 4 or 6 on a lightbar above the cab.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

#155820 - 27/04/2003 15:24 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: pedrohoon]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

I have been told that the police here in Western Australia will book people having HID spotlights (eg. Hella Predators) fitted to anything smaller than an eight ton truck. Apparently this is to stop the wankers who drive around the suburbs in their 'weekend warrior' 4wds with 4 or 6 on a lightbar above the cab.
Well, that's a good start. Maybe as the HID headlights show up more and more, people will realize how distracting and often-times blinding they are.

On an unrelated note, I need to start using the word "wanker" more often.

#155821 - 27/04/2003 16:44 Re: Where can I get a really loud horn for my car? [Re: tonyc]
pedrohoon
enthusiast

Loc: The Pilbara, Western Australia
However, jumping over to the other side of the fence for a moment, a potential safety advantage of Xenon lights may be:

Lastly xenon headlights have a similar lifespan to normal headlights (about 1500 hours) but do not fail suddenly. Instead they gradually go dim as the gases properties weaken.

(From this site.)

This is in addition to their lower power consumption for a given light output compared to Halogen lights.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3