Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15867 - 29/08/2000 13:48 Mute/Attenuation
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
I hope this hasn't been mentioned in here before. I have read back quite a ways and haven't seen it.

I would like a mute/attenuation button/capability. I mentioned in another post that this is something I had on my Alpine, and am now realizing how much I miss it.

At the press of a button, the volume would drop by 10 units. The Alpine had a volume range from 0 to 35, so I doubt it was in dB. I don't know what the translation would be for the empeg.

This feature proved VERY useful when driving say on the turnpike with my windows open (trucks are very loud inside from the air rushing by...) When I pulled up to a toll booth, I would hit the mute button, and volume would drop to a reasonable level.

Also, living this close to Miami, we get/listen to a lot of Bass(booty) music. This happened more when I had a radio, as that's primarily what one of the stations here plays. When listening to any music that was LOUD, I'd also attenuate the volume when I pulled up to a traffic light, so the people next to me didn't have to listen to what I was...

Thanks for listening,

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB 080000349

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349

#15868 - 29/08/2000 15:39 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: trevorp]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Agreed - I would love this feature and have mentioned it in the past - I hardly ever want to actually MUTE something - most of the time I just wanna lower the volume to take care of something, wether it be talking, etc..
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#15869 - 29/08/2000 15:48 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: dionysus]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I drive a stylish '94 toyota tercel... You know, the sweet ride with the sport bumpers? Anyway, these lean crusing machines are a little high on the road noise, so I have to adjust volume constantly. I have always wanted a single button to switch from "highway" levels to "traffic stop" levels on the fly. This sounds like the same thing...

-Brian
..with his Empeg still firmly wedged in Memphis, TN.

#15870 - 29/08/2000 16:12 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: trevorp]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What button would you want to use for mute? Every button already does something.

#15871 - 29/08/2000 16:55 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: tfabris]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
What button would you want to use for mute? Every button already does something.

Uhh... couldn't the guys@empeg just send us another button?

#15872 - 29/08/2000 18:03 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: bootsy]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
Ahh.....If only more people would use an attenuation button at stoplights I wouldn't have to listen to the bass of the car 25 vehicles behind me. Sometimes I like a lot of bass but I am considerate of those around me at stoplights.

Alex Lear

#15873 - 29/08/2000 18:35 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: bootsy]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
The part about a highway and normal setting has been discussed before. I think the best idea mentioned was that once a mic is hooked up for the VR, it monitors the noise level and adjust automatically. I'm not sure if this is being worked on or not, but I know it has been mentioned a few times.

As for the mute thing, I thought the same thing and remembered reading about that request before I got my unit. I was in my car listening and was pulling up to a drive-thru. I thought about it, then I realized that the pause button will do exactly that. DOH! So, I think mute is already taken care of. As for attenuation, I think it would be nice to lower the volume a set amount, not quite silencing it, but I'd just as soon hold down the lower volume button.

George

#15874 - 30/08/2000 09:41 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: tfabris]
trevorp

Hey, my reply doesn't seem to have made it...

I'm thinking maybe they could make the functionality of the push part of the rotary control programmable? I know that doesn't help MK1 owners at all though...

Another thought I had was to use key combinations (i.e. up and down at the same time, in the same way Car Alarms give you "3 functions" on a two button remote. I know we already have short press and long press on all buttons, so I wouldn't even suggest a "medium" press...

-Trevor

-----

-----

#15875 - 30/08/2000 11:16 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
The mark 2 has mute capability via the cell phone mute. Just have any car stereo installer add a dash switch to trigger the cell mute. Simple.

Calvin

#15876 - 30/08/2000 15:26 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: bootsy]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Uhh... couldn't the guys@empeg just send us another button?

you can download it from the empeg support site.

Murray 06000047

#15877 - 30/08/2000 16:27 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: trevorp]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

Another thought I had was to use key combinations (i.e. up and down at the same time, in the same way Car Alarms give you "3 functions" on a two button remote. I know we already have short press and long press on all buttons, so I wouldn't even suggest a "medium" press...

It was discusse a loooooong time ago (alpha mk1 days:) ) that the remote can't distinguish between one key being pressed, and two at the same time..
-mark

#15878 - 30/08/2000 23:49 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: dionysus]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
the remote can't distinguish between one key being pressed, and two at the same time..

OK, but we (they ) could assign a function to one of the buttons, to assign double meanings to some of the remote buttons . . . .

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#15879 - 01/09/2000 08:15 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: dionysus]
trevorp

The mark 2 has mute capability via the cell phone mute. Just have any car stereo installer add a dash switch to trigger the cell mute. Simple.

I haven't played with this. Is this a mute or an attenuation? If it's a mute, it's the same as pausing. If it's attenuation, then you're right, it's simple, if a little inelegant.

the remote can't distinguish between one key being pressed, and two at the same time..

Was this for the remote, or for the keys on the empeg itself?

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I am really curious. I've been doing my best to catch up since I started reading months ago, but I'm sure I've missed a BUNCH of posts.

-Trevor

-----

-----

#15880 - 01/09/2000 09:17 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: Henno]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
assign a function to one of the buttons, to assign double meanings to some of the remote buttons

I meant to say to use one of the buttons as a SHIFT button. Looking for a spare one, this morning, I may have found one!

How about using the CD button, when already in player mode, to assign a second meaning to some (single stroke) remote buttons for player operations, and to use two CD presses (CD CD) remove the shift again when necessary . . .

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#15881 - 01/09/2000 09:56 Re: Mute/Attenuation [Re: trevorp]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I am really curious. I've been doing my best to catch up since I started reading months ago, but I'm sure I've missed a BUNCH of posts.

As far as I know, the remote.. I'm not sure about the front buttons..
-mark