Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15966 - 29/08/2000 20:11 Parenthesis
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
I noticed that empeg lists titles that being with parenthesis first in the listing. While this makes sense from an ANSI standpoint, it doesn't make sense alphabetically or numerically in human terms. It would be better if empeg listed the titles according to the first letter or number only. If the first character is something other than a letter or number, it should go to the next character, so that the list will still be alphabetically sorted.

Or am I the only one this makes sense to?

George

#15967 - 30/08/2000 20:02 Re: Parenthesis [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If the first character is something other than a letter or number

Please don't take this as belittlement, George, but really... you should have taken care of those parentheses (betcha they came from cddb, didn't they?) before you transferrred the songs into the empeg.

On a different topic... when you transfer music to the empeg, is that uploading or downloading?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#15968 - 30/08/2000 20:21 Re: Parenthesis [Re: tanstaafl.]
bryan
journeyman

Loc: New Zealand
Please don't take this as belittlement, George, but really... you should have taken care of those parentheses (betcha they came from cddb, didn't they?) before you transferrred the songs into the empeg.

I think it's a good idea. I noticed the same thing myself and in my case, the title according to the back of the CD does actually have parenthesis in it. So I'd like to preserve that but ignore odd characters for search and sorting.
Also it's a little difficult to enter a bracket with the remote.

On a different topic... when you transfer music to the empeg, is that uploading or downloading?.

I'd say that you use emplode to upload music to the empeg.
If you telnet to the empeg and were running an ftp client to fetch music, you'd be downloading.

#15969 - 30/08/2000 21:49 Re: Parenthesis [Re: tanstaafl.]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

No belittlement taken. I know what you're saying... BUT... as Bryan already pointed out, these are songs that actually contain the parenthesis in the title (i.e. Bryan Adam's (Everything I Do) I Do It For You). They belong there, but it shouldn't be placed first on the list because of them. It should still be under 'E'. Any songs that placed them in from CDDB, but shouldn't have had them, I did remove, as well as all the spelling errors, punctuation mistakes, and capitalization screw ups. I'm very particular about how things are presented, so I like it as close to perfection (my idea of it, at least) as I can get.

George

#15970 - 30/08/2000 21:56 Re: Parenthesis [Re: bryan]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Bryan... I agree 100% on the fact that they belong there. However, when you do a search, it ignores the parenthesis. You just need to type in the letter and it will show it. That's all the more reason it should be ignored altogether... it's already ignored in the search function, so why does it look at it in the listing?

My theory on downloading and uploading is that whichever computer you're doing the actual transfer function on is the one who's action is what it should be called. If you're using your home computer to send a file to the empeg, it should be uploading. However, if you're somehow on the empeg and ftp'ing out to your home computer and you bring a file onto the empeg, then that should be called DOWNloading. (I don't know if you can actually download to the empeg using ftp from inside the empeg, but if you can, that's what I'd call it.)

George