Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16038 - 29/08/2000 22:13 Swapping Info in list
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Loc: Sayreville, New Jersey USA
I noticed that empeg doesn't really DO anything with the other information in the ID3 tags. What I'd like to see is a way to switch between title, artist, album, and maybe even year and genre, such as when it lists them for Now & Next. This way you could tell which version of a song it was. I know we can append "live" and such to the title, but this still doesn't tell us which album it came from. I envision the list as such:

Currently way empeg works:

Dude (Looks Like A Lady)
Fur Elise
Bad To The Bone

Hit a button and it changes to:

[Big Ones]
Fur Elise
Bad To The Bone

Hit the same button again to get:

[Aerosmith]
Fur Elise
Bad To The Bone

And possibly go through genre, year... even PIN#, if it exists. Then it would go back to normal, with no brackets, showing the title again. This would let you find out which version of the song it is without any hassle.

(Did I hit everyone's musical taste there?) I've got all of those, so that's a possible combination.

George

#16039 - 29/08/2000 23:55 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
teemcbee
addict

What about something like scrolling the current song in the 1st line of the now&next Infoscreen with Artist and Title (Like it is in the Infoline) and the next songs just to show the title.

I think something similar has already been covered before but I don't know what the result was.

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#16040 - 30/08/2000 02:00 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: teemcbee]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
That wasn't one of the options we covered in the last discussion, it sounds interesting. Imagine, all four (or five) lines of the now and next screen scrolling like the info line display...

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#16041 - 30/08/2000 02:37 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: andy]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
Wouldn't that be classed as distracting, and therefore unsuitable for in car use... =)

Only joking, honest... =)

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#16042 - 30/08/2000 02:55 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: andy]
teemcbee
addict

Wouldn't that be a bit too much of scrolling? I think it would be confusing if every line scrolls.

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#16043 - 30/08/2000 07:58 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
That's a neat one, George. I like it.

One of the ideas that the Empeg folks were discussing was to have the artist and album information indented below the main song on the Now and Next screen. But that would have lost us one of the names on the screen. Your idea is an interesting alternative.

You could use the DNPP for that purpose, since in that mode it has little purpose (right now, the DNPP button changes the hidden visual).

Perhaps it should only display the bracketed info for a few seconds, then go back to normal.

#16044 - 30/08/2000 13:50 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: tfabris]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
In reply to:

One of the ideas that the Empeg folks were discussing was to have the artist and album information indented below the main song on the Now and Next screen.

Funnily enough, I was driving back from taking my girlfriend to the airport this evening when I was thinking about the now and next display. I have to say that it was a memory of the flight displays at Luton airport which prompted this, but....

It would be really cool if the tracks in now/next flipped between title and artist automatically. They way they do this at the airport is to scroll the text horizontally within the line (so the text disappears off the top of the line and appears on the bottom). Kinda hard to describe, but could look pretty damn good on the Empeg.

Nick.

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#16045 - 30/08/2000 14:57 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: debauch]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
cool if the tracks in now/next flipped between title and artist automatically

I know what you mean -- I *hate* those displays. They always seems to show that particular half of the information that you want to know. Also, most of the time on the now/next on the player you'd be simply scrolling, without needing (or wanting) to know artist, etc.

Showing the additional info on request would be nicest, but finding a button could be hard. We'd still need select, confirm, insert/append, moving the traversing the list; etc . . .
And, on showing the additional info: why only show it for the selected track? I suggest to do it for *all* tracks on the display.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#16046 - 30/08/2000 15:00 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: teemcbee]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

"with Artist and Title (Like it is in the Infoline) and the next songs just to show the title"

The only actual problem I see with that is the fact that it wouldn't give me the information I want. I have Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden on 4 albums... Live After Death, A Real Live One, Live At Donington, and The Number Of The Beast. Each of the first 3 is live from a different concert and the last one is the original studio recording. Simply seeing the artist and title doesn't let me know which version I'm listening to.

Honestly, I think the scrolling text on more than one line would be too "busy". There would just be too much going on with that screen at that point. Scrolling horizontally wouldn't work very well, since you wouldn't be able to go between the information very neatly. Scrolling vertically would work better, but I'm still not so sure it wouldn't still be too busy.

However, I like Tony's suggestion for a delay before it reverts back. Maybe after you press DNPP (if that's the button), it shows the artist, but if you don't press it again within... say... 5 seconds... it goes back to the title of the song. That way I wouldn't have to loop back to the beginning again. I like it!

George

#16047 - 30/08/2000 15:14 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden on 4 albums... Live After Death, A Real Live One, Live At Donington, and The Number Of The Beast. Each of the first 3 is live from a different concert and the last one is the original studio recording.

As I've stated elsewhere, I work around that exact problem by adding parenthetical text to the song title. Seeing the album in the Now and Next screens would be useful, but not every screen gives you the option of seeing more detailed information. For example, when performing a search by title, you only get to see the titles. So the parenthetical text is vital in that case. When I search for Rush's "Closer to the Heart", I get distinct versions:

Closer to the Heart (Live DS)
Closer to the Heart (Live ASH)
Closer to the Heart (Remaster)

#16048 - 30/08/2000 15:44 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: tfabris]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

As I've stated elsewhere, I work around that exact problem by adding parenthetical text to the song title.[/i

I remember reading that, but I'd prefer not to make the names any longer than they already are. I mean, I could add everything to the title (well, almost everything) and see it all scroll, but not all screens scroll, either. So, the end is cut off on some of them and I'd never see the parenthesis, anyhow. I know I could shorten the title name as you've also said, but I don't want to do that. I like having the full title in there and I'd rather struggle with playing a little of the song and trying to figure out which one it was than to give up the full title name. (I know I'm stubborn, but it's okay... I'm harmless.)

but not every screen gives you the option of seeing more detailed information.

What a wonderful idea! Yeah, how about making this available on all of the screens that list the information? That'd be perfect!

George

#16049 - 30/08/2000 23:55 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: GeorgeLSJr]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
What a wonderful idea! Yeah, how about making this (=scrolling} available on all of the screens that list information?

Sorry George, to disagree. I think that would be horrible.
Think of it, scroling texts all over the place; way too complex for a UI.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#16050 - 31/08/2000 00:11 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: Henno]
teemcbee
addict

And what do you think about scrolling the 1st line in the now&next with artist, title & album? (or maybe configurable what should scroll - but only in the first line..)

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#16051 - 31/08/2000 00:16 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: teemcbee]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Er, yes. It was a joke.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#16052 - 31/08/2000 06:56 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: teemcbee]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I think it'd work better if there was a key we could punch to change to artist display..
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#16053 - 31/08/2000 15:53 Re: Swapping Info in list [Re: Henno]
GeorgeLSJr
enthusiast

Oh... NO, NO, NO! That's *not* what I meant. In fact, I said here that I thought ANY scrolling would be too busy. I certainly still feel that way, too! I meant that my original idea to just have a button swap between the different information would be a wonderful thing to have on all of the screens that list the titles. Sorry for the confusion...

George