Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161740 - 16/05/2003 07:29 Anybody see the new matrix?
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Is it as good as the hype or is it a MIB2?

#161741 - 16/05/2003 07:44 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: fusto]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I've been waiting for this to come up!

I thought it was great. Not as good as the first one (come one, who'd expect it to be?) but lots of fun. It has a lot more philosophizing than the first movie (or maybe the same amount, but it’s in-your-face in this one) that turned off a lot of the people from my office. I like that stuff and ate it up though, so it just depends on what you like. Even if you’re only interested in action, it’s well worth the price of admission. Rarely, if ever, have I spent as much time in a single movie with an excited grin plastered on my face. The car chase scene is like no other.

There were a few downsides: the music didn’t seem as powerful to me, the pacing was uneven (heavy doses of story followed by heavy doses of action), and there’s a kind of rave scene that just didn’t seem to fit the movie (in my opinion). These are relatively minor things in what I thought was a fantastic movie.

I’d say more, but I don’t want to ruin it for anyone.

#161742 - 16/05/2003 07:47 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: JeffS]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Ditto on the rave scene. Thought it was out of place. But I know what you mean...I sat there with a dopey grin through much of the fight scenes.

<--- just think me watching a whole movie looking like my avatar

#161743 - 16/05/2003 07:50 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: JeffS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
and there’s a kind of rave scene that just didn’t seem to fit the movie (in my opinion).
I thought the rave scene was great. I'm not clear on the symbolism, but they were trying to make some kind of a point by intercutting between the dancers, the dancers' muddy feet, and Neo/Trinity.

I think they may have been trying to show "what exactly are we hoping to save?" in addition to making some sort of symbolism point.

#161744 - 16/05/2003 07:52 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
I think they may have been trying to show "what exactly are we hoping to save?"
Guess we'll find out in the DVD commentary.

Also will note that some of the FX shots were clearly computer generated, but I have to forgive the few cases in light of all the amazing shots they did pull off.

Maybe in 20 years when they're re-released they'll fix those scenes.

#161745 - 16/05/2003 08:03 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I think they may have been trying to show "what exactly are we hoping to save?" in addition to making some sort of symbolism point.
To me Zion seemed a tad cultish. If this was the desired effect, then I can see how the rave scene fits in. I suppose it (along with a few other minor details) will have to be revealed in the final movie.

#161746 - 16/05/2003 08:08 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: fusto]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Also, one more thing I think I should add. This movie didn’t seem “tacked on” to the original, which was a big fear I had going in. There are some who disagree, but to me this made the first movie (which I’d initially felt had come to a nice, comfortable conclusion) now feel more like just the beginning to a more complex story.

#161747 - 16/05/2003 08:09 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: JeffS]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Cult? With a name like Zion?!?

Never!

(Note that this is not an anti-Jewish post; just that when the term Zion was coined (?) that Judaism was a cult.)

#161748 - 16/05/2003 08:12 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: fusto]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
This is one thread I will definitely NOT read. I don't want to know anything about this movie until I go and see it myself.

I actually went to the first movie with too high expectations because everybody was raving about it and ended up dissapointed. But I went a second and even a third time, and it got better every time I saw it. Now it's still one of my favourite movies. (you know, the kind of movies you can't help but watching every time they broadcast it on tv, even though you've seen it ten times or more and even own the DVD! )

I'm not going to make the same mistake this time. I don't want to know ANYTHING. Not even if people like it or not.

I wanna be the judge !

#161749 - 16/05/2003 08:14 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: fusto]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I thought it was great. It was kind of slow getting started, had some cheesy dialog, and had great special effects. The only real problem I had with the special effects are that every film that has come out in the last three years has tried to use "matrix style" special effects, so when they show up in Reloaded, they're not as cool as they were the first time. That said, the freeway scene was great. The blatant cliffhanger is kind of annoying, but at least they're brining the next one out in six months, so it's not like the drawn out every year-or-three that LOTR and star wars have going.

Matthew

#161750 - 16/05/2003 08:39 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: matthew_k]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I thought the movie was great, too. The choreographing of the fight scenes was fantastic - BUT one gripe:

I thought the computer animation they used for the majority of Neo's fight scene with Agent Smith(s) was pretty cheapo looking. The textures and shading were extremely flat and the movement was very Toy Story like. If you watch it again, have a look at Neo's jacket or Smith's faces during that scene - they just weren't very well done. Of course, that's IMO.

Overall, though - I thought the movie was WELL worth seeing in the theaters. Definitely NOT a MIB2.

- trs

#161751 - 16/05/2003 08:52 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: fusto]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Is it as good as the hype or is it a MIB2?

No opinion yet, but was amused by this snippet from a radio (Bob Mondello?) review: "....Neo, worrying about his girlfriend who, in a world of ones and zeroes, is at *least* a three..."

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#161752 - 16/05/2003 10:13 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: JeffS]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
One of my friends and I talked about this movie quite a bit this morning, and we both had the same impressions.

I thought they tried way to hard to be 'artistic' which is the feeling the rave scene gave me. There was way too much philosophising, and not nearly enough of 'breaking, shooting, and blowing **** up'. What made the original great, was that it had a great mixture of story and action. In this one, it felt that the philosophy they were presenting was overpowering and the action scenes were just kind of thrown in.

The flying was OK, but if Neo was the pimp daddy of the Matrix, you'd think he'd come up with something a little more original (and quicker) than Supermanning across the world.

The trenchcoat was cool in the first one, but for some reason it didn't work in this one. There was one freeze scene that it looked awesome, but other than that, I figured it'd be a hinderance in the fighting scenes.

The highway scene was great (until the Superman rescue). I just about died every time Trinity weaved (wove?) between the cars going the wrong way down the highway.

It was an OK movie, and I'll probably see it again. I might have just been expecting too much.

#161753 - 16/05/2003 10:17 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: Tim]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The highway scene was great (until the Superman rescue). I just about died every time Trinity weaved (wove?) between the cars going the wrong way down the highway.
My favorite part of that was how the "camera" passed right through the undercarriage of some of the traffic in those scenes. Most of the time it was almost so subtle that you wouldn't notice it was happening. There was one moment where they did it very blatantly. It was almost as if the effects guys were saying, "Ha! Fooled you. You thought those were actual cars the whole time, didn't you?"

When Tod and I realized this, we kind of looked at each other and went, "Whoa."

#161754 - 16/05/2003 10:19 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
trs24
old hand

we kind of looked at each other and went, "Whoa."
ha Ha, yeah - my friends and I did the same thing when we saw that. That was a sweet trick.

- trs

#161755 - 16/05/2003 10:37 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: trs24]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I was skating at the skate park in Alameda when they were filming that highway scene... many days in fact. They built that entire highway structure on the Alameda Naval Air Base right next to the skate park. It was insane... you'd be carving around the bowl and all of the sudden you'd hear a rain of gunfire ringing out and a huge explosion. Crazyness. Esc (the effects studio that did most of the animation... formerly called Manex) is also right next to where they built that set in an old hanger. Really cool stuff to watch.

I'll save my fingers and not comment on the movie, other than it was "aight".

#161756 - 16/05/2003 12:22 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: loren]
mwest
old hand

Loc: Ada, Oklahoma
I saw the the movie on the preview date and I'll step out of character to say that the love scene/rave scene didn't seem too out of place; just a bit long to meet the need of Neo's prophetic vision. My complaint with the movie is that it explained far too much... Vampires, free will/predestination.... whatever. I'm not saying that these twists weren't cool and that the concept wasn't interesting. I'm saying the dialogue seemed to be written for a 12 year old... The oracle scene I found completely demeaning... I got the point and then they beat me with it.

Edit... Someone has told me that it just seems this way because I've dealt with the philosophical issues mentioned more than most, but I don't think thats it. By the way, I meant to say it is definitely not an MIB2.

Edited by mwest (16/05/2003 12:37)

#161757 - 16/05/2003 12:42 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: mwest]
trs24
old hand

The most interesting character in the movie I thought was The Merovingian. The eerie thing was that I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code just days before and was rather surprised to hear the name Merovingian mentioned in The Matrix. In The Da Vinci Code the author describes the Merovingian line as being a direct blood line from Jesus (mind you - the book is fiction). But this is a genuine theory of some historians. I'm not sure what the writers for The Matrix were trying to say with that name, but I thought it was rather interesting.

- trs

BTW - If anyone hasn't read The Da Vinci Code I HIGHLY recommend it. I'm not much of a reader - but I found it so fascinating that I couldn't put it down and finished it in 3 days!

#161758 - 16/05/2003 13:43 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: mwest]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The oracle scene I found completely demeaning... I got the point and then they beat me with it.
I agree with the feeling that I'd been beaten over the head with the point. Although I think the specific scene with the Oracle was the most pleasant and fun, and the least tiresome of the exposition bits. The most tiresome, I thought, was the scene at the end with the Architect.

But I agree that they tried too hard to make the philosophical points, and that they over-explained them.

Still loved the action scenes.

#161759 - 16/05/2003 14:45 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

The most tiresome, I thought, was the scene at the end with the Architect.
This was definitely the point my head exploded; I must admit I didn't follow the conversation well enough to get it all. In fact of the three others I was with, only one of us really followed the whole thing. To be sure, I think that was the intended effect. Anyway, I ended up finding the transcript of the Architect scene on a website which helped me understand everything. This didn't make the movie tiresome for me, just that much more interesting. Of course they could mess it all up in the next one if it doesn't turn out cool.

#161760 - 16/05/2003 16:04 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: jimhogan]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Hey Jim welcome back - we missed you!

#161761 - 17/05/2003 11:35 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: number6]
belezeebub
addict

Bah Saw it opening day. it was ok.
Effects were no big deal, the story line was Better then the last 2 star wars movies (but then again so was attack of the killer tomatoes)

I didn't really mind the Rave Since (eat drink and be merry for tommorow we my all die)

I really was annoyed at the TBC Ending and this we knew you were comming and you made this choise before was very very annoying.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 0000 1000

Edited by belezeebub (17/05/2003 11:36)
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#161762 - 18/05/2003 21:00 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: mwest]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
"a bit" doesn't begin to describe it. Almost everything about this movie felt like it dragged on for too long -- even the fight scenes started edging from "COOL" to tedium (and that's coming from a guy that studies martial arts). The rave was the worst -- that just felt like they stopped in the middle of the film and said "hey guys, why don't we shoot a music video!" The FX were really well done -- except for the fight scenes, which were still good, but lighting was problematic and distracting. The CG version of Neo's coat didn't appear to wrinkle realistically (it reminded me of Maya cloth). The new way of doing the time stop thing let them have a lot more complexity in the scenes, but the loss of realism from not using timed cameras didn't feel like it was worth the tradeoff. Overall, it was, as loren said, "aight" -- I'll be seeing the third, of course, but better editing could have brought it up to the level of the first one, IMHO.

#161763 - 18/05/2003 23:20 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The rave was the worst -- that just felt like they stopped in the middle of the film and said "hey guys, why don't we shoot a music video!"
Surely you've heard of the OMV, right?

OMV: Obligatory Music Video. Found in far too many modern films. Basically, the passage of time and certain pieces of character development (or the development of the love relationship between two characters if it's a love story) are fast-forwarded in some section of the middle of the film, while set to music. Often, the music is an uplifting pop song that's intended to sell copies of the film soundtrack album. There is no dialogue, in fact, most of the on screen action is almost pantomime in nature. In many cases the characters are seen doing fun, whimsical/playful things with each other in various settings. The OMV is a convenient way of quickly "telling" you something about the character development without actually "showing" you the real tedious day-to-day events and having to write all the dialogue that goes with it.

This is done in films frequently enough (and sometimes poorly enough) so that it's a) been parodied a number of times, and b) been adapted and redone particularly well a number of times.

I don't have an example of an OMV parody handy, perhaps someone can give one.

One of my favorite examples of a really good OMV is the Chicago Art Museum scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

One of the worst claw-your-own-eyes-out example of an OMV is the scene in Attack of the Clones where Anakin "Darth Petulent" Skywalker and Natalie "Just-out-of-beta" Portman have a little romp in the grassy fields of Naboo with some alien cows. George: You don't quite have the "hang" of the OMV. Avoid that form in the future, please. While you're at it, avoid trying to tell love stories altogether, please.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up: I think that the rave scene might have been the Wachowski's attempt at a new twist on the OMV. Seen in that light, I think it's a decent variation on the idea. It deliberately eschews some of the conventions of the OMV and sort of takes its own route. It doesn't achieve all of the goals that an OMV usually does, but maybe they were going for different goals (which I admit I still don't totally understand-- I think MWest had some interesting things to say about it, perhaps he can expand on the things he mentioned?).

#161764 - 19/05/2003 07:17 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Disclaimer: I should note that I’m assuming here everyone has seen the movie. If you haven’t you shouldn’t continue reading, as this movie is much better seen with as little knowledge as possible.

There are three things I didn’t like about the rave scene:
1. It didn’t feel very “Matrix”.
2. It was long.
3. I didn’t like the idea that all of the people who had “freed their minds” were acting almost like one amebic entity. It looked like the veneer of freedom (we move our body’s freely with the music that guides us), but an entire people acting with a singular intensity that is almost purposeless doesn’t seem to jive with the idea that these people are “free.” However, this might be the point, which I’ll get to.

I see the interspersed sex scene as not part of the rave scene (though clearly it is complementary) and I didn’t find it as difficult to swallow as the raving. I must admit that I don’t like sex scenes in any movie: most of the time they are unnecessary and it’s not something I like to watch. Still, clearly I don’t represent the majority of moviegoers so it’s something I’ve learned to live with. Having said that, this is a sex scene that carries far more weight than most.

In fact, it deals directly with the point I am guessing the whole Matrix trilogy is trying to make (cue “All You Need is Love”): ultimately it all comes down to love. It’s what saved Neo in the first movie and enabled him to become the “one”, and it’s also what makes Neo different from the other “saviors” (the “why” that drives his predestined choices). Thus this sex scene is ultimately important to show Neo and Trinity in love (and I do believe the intent was to show their acts were not just lust driven desire).

Now back to the rave scene: the more I think about it, the more I think that my #3 above may be the intended response. Are these people really free? Neo and Trinity certainly are, and while everyone else is engaged in a huge communal ravefest, they are focusing solely on one another and their love.

If this is all the intended symbolism (or close to it, anyway) of the rave vs. sex scene, then my #1 and #3 issues have been addressed and I think I can get over the fact that it’s overlong. So perhaps I was a bit hasty in slashing the rave scene as a detractor from the movie. Maybe. It sort of depends how on target I am about the symbolism, which will be validated or dismissed in the third movie.

#161765 - 19/05/2003 20:47 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Surely you've heard of the OMV, right?

Not 'til now. I typically associate the montage treatment with Baywatch. I haven't seen AotC -- my suspicions on seeing the re-release of the original trilogy were shown correct on the release of Phantom Menace, and I gave up on him.

Oh, and FWIW, I have it on good authority that there will be YASWSE (Yet Another Star Wars Special Edition) released -- there are *still* people working on those original three movies. *sigh*

#161766 - 19/05/2003 21:03 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I have it on good authority that there will be YASWSE (Yet Another Star Wars Special Edition) released
You know, I'd support this if he did it right. But he won't.

What I wish he would do is:

- Take the original prints.

- Clean up and restore them as pristine as possible.

- Correct and update any optical composites digitally, such as fixing the "emporer's slugs", cleaning up garbage mattes, etc., so that the films look like they were supposed to look like when originally projected in the theater instead of overexposed for the telecine transfer like the VHS copies.

- NOT add any new digital effects, characters, or objects.

- NOT add any new scenes (sorry, stepping on Jabba's tail was stupid).

- NOT change any existing scenes (Greedo shooting first and missing at point blank range, gimme a frickin break).

I figure the odds of this happening are about zilch.

#161767 - 20/05/2003 06:29 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Greedo shooting first and missing at point blank range, gimme a frickin break
Well, it may explain why stormtroopers are unable to hit Luke when he's standing still no more than 50 feet away; the quality control on blasters is pretty poor, and they simply don't shoot straight.

OTOH, I did like how much of the Ewok party was excised from RotJ, and the other-world party scenes were cool, even if it was a little off that the entire universe knew about it in a few hours.

#161768 - 20/05/2003 06:56 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

I didn't mind most of the additions, buy you hit on the two I can remember really disliking: Greedo missing and Jabba's tail. I could probably even live with Jabba's tail, but the Greedo shooting first thing is inexcusable.

#161769 - 20/05/2003 07:08 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: wfaulk]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Yeah well, those laser blasters and tie fighters make noise in space too, so I guess we'll just suspend reality for a while.

#161770 - 20/05/2003 21:28 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

OTOH, I did like how much of the Ewok party was excised from RotJ

To bring it only very slightly back on topic... why do I get the feeling that if George were to see a particular scene in the new Matrix that he'd put all that back in, and then some?

#161771 - 21/05/2003 09:43 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: number6]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Hey Jim

I have regressed to 28.8 access. That and a crummy typing position (back living on my boat) tends to turn me in to a bit of a lurker. Can't read any more of this thread until I've seen the movie!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#161772 - 21/05/2003 15:48 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: belezeebub]
davekirk
journeyman

Loc: Las Vegas
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 0000 1000 -belezeebub
On a scale of 1 to 2, you would give it an 8? (Or 128, with little-endian byte order?) It's good, but certainly not that good.

Was anyone else surprised to see the hose attachments on everyone's body? I had assumed (incorrectly I realize after re-watching the first movie) all the attachment points except at the head were surgically removed. Apparently, they just made sure the freed characters wore long sleeves and pants in the first movie to make it easy for the makeup department.

#161773 - 22/05/2003 14:30 Spoilers!! [Re: davekirk]
hoagy

Loc: Silicon Valley
Matrix 2 SPOILERS. If you haven't seen the movie, for cripes sake go see it already.

I saw it today for the second time and it's better the second time. I picked up hints that I missed before and even the way-shallow fight scenes are tolerable.

I think the rave scene is important because these people are celebrating their "humanity" and love, which isn't real, but I'll get to that.

I particularly like one theory that I read online... Zion is another level of Matrix and everyone in any Matrix is a program... with the possible exception of the woman Neo kisses (Persephone). The whole point of the Matrix is to find the one program that is a true human AI. Neo is the 6th candidate so far, and this one chooses love over life. Persephone is a test to see if Neo can really feel human.

When a program in the main Matrix realizes it's fake, it's flushed into the new Matrix (The *real* world). As the programs advance in awareness, their AI is getting better and better. The Oracle is a guide to reaching this perfect AI level and programs such as the Merovingian are tests.

I would be very satisfied if the plot ended up this way. But if Neo can shoot lightning bolts and programs can leave the Matrix, then things are going to be pretty disappointing. Notice that the monitors looking at the Matrix1`'s agent interrogation room are the same as the Architect's?

Watch the movie again and really think about what the Architect says. It's not just filler. Remember-you never really know a person until you fight them.

-Hoagy.

#161774 - 22/05/2003 14:47 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: hoagy]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I guess I will have to see it again. I thought it sucked the first time I saw it.

#161775 - 22/05/2003 15:15 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: hoagy]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Don't read this if you haven't seen it yet!
Zion is another level of Matrix and everyone in any Matrix is a program...

While I seem to be the one person on the planet who wouldn't mind the "matrix within a matrix" answer, I really don't think that's where this is going. It makes sense, but it's also been done before (the 13th floor for an immediate example, which came out around the same time as the first Matrix). Anyway, it's probably intented that we think it's a matrix within a matrix right now (after the second movie), but it would really bring the first movie down a few levels if "reality" turned out to be a hoax.

[One theory is that] The whole point of the Matrix is to find the one program that is a true human AI.
If my theory of "love is the answer" turns out to be correct (and I think it will looking back at the climax in both movies) the "search for the real human AI" probably wouldn't work unless both Trinity and Neo are involved (since their love seems to be a focal point).

But if Neo can shoot lightning bolts and programs can leave the Matrix, then things are going to be pretty disappointing.
I have no problem with programs leaving the Matrix. Smith has just managed to reprogram a human beings brain (this also happens in the 13th floor). As for Neo's powers at the end, I'm hoping there is some other explanation other than "he suddently developed psi powers" because that would really irritate me. I don't have any other answer though.

#161776 - 22/05/2003 15:32 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: JeffS]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Also one thing I'd like to say: while I think it's fun to speculate about what's going on in the Matrix movies, I've been checking out some Matrix message boards to see what other people think and boy do some of them really get bent out of shape! We've had more civil religious and political discussions here than some of the threads I've read about a friggin movie. And they're not even disagreeing about thematic interpretation; they're having knock down drag outs over what they think is going to happen in the last movie, like they have some control over it. People can be so funny.

#161777 - 22/05/2003 15:55 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: JeffS]
tman
carpal tunnel

Aha... It could be that he *thinks* he's left the Matrix but hasn't really which would nicely explain away why he can do the funky lightning stuff Bit of a crappy ending tho. It would be equivalent of a soap where they explain away a lot of things by saying it was all a dream.

I do agree with you about how fanatical some people get about it. They had a few programmes on TV yesterday about the Matrix and the Matrix Reloaded and it interviewed some people. One woman has seen the original over 150 times, watched portions of it in slow motion and wrote her MSc thesis on it.

- Trevor

#161778 - 22/05/2003 16:07 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: tman]
suomi35
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
Given that the first movie is 136 minutes in length, that would mean this person has spent at least 340 hours or a little over 14 solid days watching it...wtf

#161779 - 22/05/2003 16:23 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: tman]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Still more spoliers

It could be that he *thinks* he's left the Matrix but hasn't really which would nicely explain away why he can do the funky lightning stuff
The best explanation for everything that I can think of so far (though I don't think it's true) is this:

For the Matrix to function there must be choice. Therefore everyone is given a choice of the Matrix or Zion both of which are simulations. Zion is for the 1% of people who reject the Matrix and need another place to go. However, there is still another 1% who will reject the Zion program. When these people appear as they necessarily must they become the "one" and the whole system is rebooted. It's all a cycle to control humans, but now Neo is breaking it by choosing love over destiny. Like I said, though this is the best explination I have so far I'm betting (hoping?) we all get suprised in the last movie.

The one thing that seems clear, however, is that even in the future the NT code base has survived, and in fact been used to develop the Matrix, hence the need for systematic rebooting.

#161780 - 22/05/2003 16:26 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: suomi35]
tman
carpal tunnel

Hopefully it was spread out between 1999 when it was the original was actually released and now
But even that's like watching it every 10 days or so since 1999... It's just crazy!

- Trevor

#161781 - 22/05/2003 16:34 Re: Spoilers!! [Re: JeffS]
tman
carpal tunnel

You could go on forever about how it's a matrix within a matrix which is within another... And at each stage you'd get that 1% which refuses to believe it. The thing is that if they did use the plot that he's still within the matrix then why don't they just unplug him, kill him and dump the body? Would get rid of any rogue people pretty quickly and cleanly. Then again, I seem to remember there was some little bit of trivia that prevented them doing this in the first film... Bleh. I say just wait until they release the final part.

At least it's running NT. If it was 95 then it would only go for 47.5 days at a time...

- trevor

#161782 - 27/05/2003 09:18 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I don't have an example of an OMV parody handy, perhaps someone can give one.

Isn't there one in one of the Naked Gun films, with Neilsen and Presley running down the beach to music, and clothes-lining some unsuspecting jogger to the floor?

#161783 - 27/05/2003 11:34 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I seem to recall one or more of the Z.A.Z films doing OMV parodies.

#161784 - 27/05/2003 11:54 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: fusto]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I have not read most of this thread, but I wanted to give my impressions anyway.

I assume that at this point, people who are reading this thread won't find the following info to be spoilers, but you've been warned

Yeah, it had lots of discussions of pseudo-philosophy, but I enjoyed those. They added to the atmosphere.

As far as the action and storyline go, they couldn't have been better. The fight with the multiple Agent Smiths was one of the best fight scenes in movie history. Period. Also, the freeway scene was everything it was hyped up to be.

As for the plot line, I ate it up. The big revelation from the Architect, the fact that the Oracle was a machine's control program, everything. Just amazing.

Lastly, people have complained about the fact that it was so cut off at the end. I didn't see it that way at all! Everyone knows there's a sequel coming out. Everyone knows it's a trilogy. This movie had about 2 climactic scenes (destruction of the Architect's tower and the destruction of the Nebuchadnezzar) which provided enough of a sense of a big ending. The first Lord of the Rings (and the second, for that matter), had much more of a non-ending. I thought this one was just right for what they wanted to do. Plus, we only have to wait 6 months or so.

So that's my impression, or some of them. I loved it.

#161785 - 27/05/2003 16:59 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: Dignan]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I thought the movie was very sweet & sour. The fight between Neo & the thousand Agent Smiths look horrible. It was like watching a bad Playstation 2 game.

Also , some of the effects in the car chase scene were bad too. Like the fight on top of the semi had the bad shaky cam effect. Did anyone else notice that it looked like an ad for Cadillac? The scene at the beginning (the Trinity dream sequence) was amazing!

At the end of the movie, I thought Neo's new "powers" were actually EMP from the other ship?

Also, I believe the whole point of the rave/sex scene was to show what machines can't do...

#161786 - 27/05/2003 19:57 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: burdell1]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I can see your point of view on each of those scenes. The CGI wasn't too bad on the Agent Smiths scene, IMO. I was kind of pissed off at all the Cadillac stuff, though. They could have toned it down a little, but every car seemed to be a brand new caddy. At least they got destroyed and we could imagine Celine Dion sitting in there when they flipped.

I agree, the Trinity dream sequence was amazing. It took the bullet time effect to a whole new level.

#161787 - 27/05/2003 20:04 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: burdell1]
mvigneau

Loc: Manchester, NH
I agree that the Cadillac was a little far fetched. I think that those bullets probably would have pierced throught the small sheet metal and hit them, but I can get passed it.

As to the EMP...It couldn't have been the EMP because:
1. Neo became fatigued and went into a coma.
2. The ship wouldn't have been able to fly if they had to fire off their EMPs.

#161788 - 27/05/2003 22:45 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: Dignan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

The CGI wasn't too bad on the Agent Smiths scene, IMO.

No, it wasn't too bad, but it was very hit and miss. Some parts of the sequence looked great (minor things like cloth aside), but then some parts were just downright awful. It was definately not polished to the same consistency the entire way through. This echos pretty much what everyone I've talked to at work has said. I was expecting better from Esc in that regard. The choreography was... okay, but the more Agent Smiths there were in the scene, the more it just started to look and feel like a video game cut sequence (or even game play).

#161789 - 28/05/2003 10:19 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: canuckInOR]
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
as far as the philosophy is concerned, the tag line does read "free your mind"..........

#161790 - 28/05/2003 11:29 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: Dignan]
puckalicious

They could have toned it down a little, but every car seemed to be a brand new caddy. At least they got destroyed and we could imagine Celine Dion sitting in there when they flipped.

There were only a couple Cadillacs, mainly the white CTS and the black Escalade. Although almost every single car was a GM car. I think by Celine Dion you mean Chrysler cars, not Cadillac. I hope Cadillac never stoops to the level of hiring a crack head french canadian no talent ass clown. Led Zeppelin, now there's talent.

As far as the matrix-in-a-matrix theory for Zion, that seems plausable but what about this spin: Zion is another matrix created by a competing machine society to destroy the original matrix machine society. I like that.

#161791 - 28/05/2003 12:39 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: puckalicious]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

You're right. Damn, I forgot that

#161792 - 28/05/2003 15:08 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: puckalicious]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I was actually an extra in The Matrix. My job was to drive my black Miata up and down the freeway that they built in Alameda. I met the Trinity and Agent Smith stunt doubles, had a great lunch, and made $100.00 or so. Was fun, but kinda boring.

They didn't call it "The Matrix" btw, they called it "Burly Man" - the book that the main character is reading in Barton Fink, btw...

I didn't see any scenes that had my car in it... :-(

- Jon

#161793 - 28/05/2003 15:14 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

They didn't call it "The Matrix" btw, they called it "Burly Man"
Yeah, to prevent too many crowds from showing up at the filming of blockbuster sequels, they shoot them under a code name. I remember seeing the crew T-shirt for one of the Star Wars sequels saying "Blue Harvest". Kind of a dead giveaway, though, because it was in the Star Wars logo font.

#161794 - 28/05/2003 15:27 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: tfabris]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
Way back when, I got to go to one of the sets for the second Bill and Ted movie. Crap movie but it was kind-a fun. (and since Keanu was in it, I'm still on topic! ) That movie was originally called "Bill and Ted go to Hell". The crew all had hats and T-shirts etc. etc. I thought it was a great title.
Then they changed the name and the whole thing went in the crapper.

#161795 - 28/05/2003 21:52 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: fusto]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I don't know, it was kind of fun to see Bill and Ted play Battleship with Death

#161796 - 29/05/2003 09:42 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: puckalicious]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
I think by Celine Dion you mean Chrysler cars, not Cadillac.

Celine Dion?

Maybe I'm wrong but all of the recent Chrysler ads I've seen feature Diana Krall, who is currently Canada's first lady of Jazz...maybe you American sorts have to bone up on your Canadian talent eh?

Betya didn't know that the guy famous for Auld Lang Syne was Canadian....

#161797 - 29/05/2003 10:00 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: ineedcolor]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It looks like you Canucks get to listen to (and look at) Ms Krall, while we US-ians are forced to listen to (and look at) Celine.

#161798 - 29/05/2003 10:47 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: wfaulk]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

we US-ians are forced to listen to (and look at) Celine.
Between my PVR (no commercials) and my empeg (no radio) I don't generally see or hear anyone I don't want to. About the only Celine song I know is that one from the Titanic, and I haven't even seen that in the last few years. Thanks again empeg guys: you've saved me from Celine!

#161799 - 29/05/2003 10:48 Re: Anybody see the new matrix? [Re: wfaulk]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Yikes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >