Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#163150 - 28/05/2003 09:44 Help with software upgrade
wirraway
new poster

Loc: Australia
Hi
I'm hoping I can get some help with a problem that appeared when I tried to upgrade to v2.
I've been running beta13, and previous upgrades went OK.
This time, the serial connection wouldn't find the empeg - just sits there even when I unplug and then power up again..

The player still works fine in the car!

I tried to go back to 1.03, but same problem occurred.
I am installing the appropriate emplode first.

Emplode won't find the empeg on the serial line, even though earlier upgrades went fine. The PC will see it on ethernet, and (since I upgraded the driver) on USB.

So, getting a bit desperate, I tried to upgrade Hijack from the 310 version I had. Used logoedit 1.7. Message I get is that "manufacturer id not found", and the process dies.

I tried using hyperterminal to record what goes on when the empeg just boots. That is in the attached file, although since my empeg still plays OK, I'm not sure if the error message at the end of the listing means much! Maybe someone will be able to spot some problem in there!

Does anyone have suggestions about how I could effectively "re-set" the unit, or get the serial comms to work - please note I will need fairly clear instructions!!

Thanks

#163151 - 28/05/2003 12:05 Re: Help with software upgrade [Re: wirraway]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would suspect the serial cable or problems with the serial port. I have had more than one serial cable go bad on me (get frayed at the flex point). Do you have another null cable you can try?

#163152 - 29/05/2003 05:41 Re: Help with software upgrade [Re: tfabris]
wirraway
new poster

Loc: Australia
Thanks
It was indeed the serial connection, not something in the EMPEG. Something in Windows XP was grabbing the COM port, and when I started up with all services disabled, things worked fine!