Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#164524 - 07/06/2003 01:18 Thank-You Fusto!
butter
enthusiast

Loc: State side
I just want to extend a thank-you to fusto for some advice that he gave me.

The past few months I have been out of a job and have been taking the beginning steps to live out my dream. I couldn't bare to work in the tech sector again, and with advice from him and some support from my family and friends I have decided to switch career paths and live out my dream. What is my dream you ask? Believe it or not it is to become a chef. I have started to take the first steps into doing just that and in a few years I will be headed off to culinary school and with any luck I will be able to change my username to Chef_Butter. It will cut into my pay, only in the beginning, but I guess it is true what they say in that money cannot buy happiness.

Thanks again Fusto in planting the seed. You have no idea how much it is gonna change my life for the better.
[blue]fitter, happier, more productive[/blue]

#164525 - 07/06/2003 02:16 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Yay!

If you ever need to try out your l33t 4 5+4r dishes on anyone, feel free to drive my way!

/me thinks with his stomach too much.

#164526 - 07/06/2003 02:21 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Congratulations and best of luck! If you need an alpha-tester....
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#164527 - 07/06/2003 02:58 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
maurij

I take it you've read the book Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain? if you haven't I highly recommend it, a very funny book on life as a chef.

#164528 - 07/06/2003 07:17 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA

Hey, congratulations!!
I actually dabbled with the idea of going to culinary school after I got out of the tech field, but instead I enrolled here for next fall.

It is kind of scary going into something new after doing the same thing for years, but after the initial shock wears off, you realize you can do pretty much anything you want.
As the old saying goes, you only go around once...

#164529 - 07/06/2003 07:29 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
fusto
addict

Something you might want to think about doing also, is keeping a journal of your (mis)adventures while going through this transition.
Now, I'm no writer, and I've never kept a journal in my life, but I started keeping one the day I left my job about a year ago, and I really like it.
I chose a public journal, dare I say blog, so my friends and old colleagues could keep tabs on me, but you could do a private one.
Sometimes I update daily, sometimes monthly. Its not a hard and fast rule, just basically when I have something to say/share.
It's kind of cathartic too. A sort of mental house cleaning.
Maybe its not for you, whatever, just an idea.

If your curious: http://www.bigblackvan.com
Heres the first entry ever.

#164530 - 07/06/2003 08:32 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
What is my dream you ask? Believe it or not it is to become a chef.

Wicked pissah!

That's really cool. I, too, volunteer...but I'll wait for the beta! Interesting, too, fusto's blog thoughts. I often wish I had kept more of a diary -- mostly just so I could remember/figure out Wha' Happened? Maybe I'll start a belated blog and just make the URL inaccessible!

That is cool. Tell us where you wind up cooking. Chef Butter. Some French restaurant with that handle!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#164531 - 07/06/2003 08:58 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: jimhogan]
fusto
addict

mostly just so I could remember/figure out Wha' Happened?
Much more concisely put...

#164532 - 07/06/2003 11:24 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: fusto]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
That's not the most common of re-education directions, either! Congrats, and good luck to you, as well...

#164533 - 20/12/2003 22:06 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
butter
enthusiast

In case anybody is interested here is an update:

I start my new job on January 5th as a chef's apprentice. Also I have been accepted to school and I will start that in the fall of 2004.

Thanks again Fusto!! I should start a signup sheet of alpha and beta testers......

Who is keen to the idea of a salad with ranch dressing and ketchup? only kidding.

#164534 - 20/12/2003 23:15 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Good luck ! don't forget to update your profile

Matt

#164535 - 21/12/2003 10:18 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I recently heard a radio interview with Jill Conner Browne, the author of the "Sweet Potato Queens" books. She's really runny and witty, just yesterday I pick up one of her books. On the radio interview, she said one thing that really stuck with me: "Do what makes your heart sing, and the money will follow".

I quit my job the next day...

I now design fountains for a living, and bought a small (tiny, really) company that makes electronic controllers for fountains. I couldn't be happier, now if only the money will follow...

Best of luck to you!

Larry

#164536 - 21/12/2003 11:10 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: larry818]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
She's really runny and witty,
Snappy answer number 1: "Dude, that's TMI."

Snappy answer number 2: "I don't care how f*cking runny she is, hand her over with all speed." (Python reference.)

Snappy answer number 3: "...And Gay? Does she pity... any other girl that isn't regular today?"

#164537 - 21/12/2003 11:29 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: tfabris]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
Oops, I guess it's too late to edit now...

#164538 - 07/02/2004 02:34 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
butter
enthusiast

Finally!! We are in our restaurant and have started to train for our opening. I cannot express in words what I am feeling. It's a truly amazing feeling when you start something and realize that it is your true calling in life.

Although I don't have anytraining in a kitchen, I have been getting compliments on my work left and right from my bosses and coworkers. I don't mean to toot my own horn but, [toot]I'm a natural in the kitchen[/toot]. Now I cannot wait for school to start in the fall. Thought I'd let you all know my latest update.

I'm just so happy working in a job I love that I have to tell as many people as possible.

#164539 - 07/02/2004 14:47 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
You're starting in the fall? I thought you said in your first post that you'd be going in a few years!

Good luck! I love food, so I like anyone who prepares it well We need a few more good chefs in this area.

#164540 - 08/02/2004 00:21 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: tfabris]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Snappy answer number 2: "I don't care how f*cking runny she is, hand her over with all speed." (Python reference.)

I love the Cheese Skit.

"Oooh,"
"What now?"
"The cat's eaten it."
"Has He?"
"She, sir"

Hehehehe

My other favorite it the Cat License skit.

#164541 - 08/02/2004 00:27 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: lectric]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My favorite variant of the Cheese Shop was the SCO parody, referenced elsewhere on the BBS a few months ago.

#164542 - 08/02/2004 06:54 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: butter]
fusto
addict

Thats great to hear!
Glad things are working out for the best.
Isnt it liberating to cut the old ties to a career that wasnt a good fit, and try something you love? Its especially satisfying when you can get paid for doing something you enjoy.

So far my schooling for marine systems engineering, while trying at times has been a pretty amazing experience.

Just this past week I passed my ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) Marine Diesel mechanic certification exam. 83% or higher is passing.
Big test, lots of stress. 1 down 2 more to go. (AC electrical and Refrigeration)

At this point I'm roughly halfway to graduation, then its off into the real world.

Would like to get a job on a boat somewhere, and eventually finish my hours for my captains license. I'm already about 3/4 of the way there. Then maybe get my own sailboat and do charters or perhaps just take the girlfriend and sail around the world fixing peoples boats for cash to live on.

Not sure yet.

I'm definitely happier now than I was when I was on my IT "career track".
The money was good, but the job satisfaction was low.

So far no regrets, glad I took the leap.

#164543 - 08/02/2004 14:06 Re: Thank-You Fusto! [Re: Dignan]
butter
enthusiast

My original plan was to work in the field for a few years and then go to school. Part of that plan was to go to the Le Cordon Bleu Cooking School, but after some research I found out that I can't really afford $36K for my degree. I've decided to go to an in-state school. I applied and got accepted. Usually there is a waiting list, but one of my managers at my other job has a brother that works there and he put in a good word for me, which probably put me on the fast track to being accepted.

So I'll have about 8 months under my belt, then go to school, and two years later [Emeril] BAM!! [/Emeril] I'll have my degree. Sorry about the lame cooking joke, I really hate that guy.

Børk! Børk! Børk!