Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16589 - 03/09/2000 17:10 Fast Forward/Rewind on serial port?
CharlieP
new poster

I've done some searches, but I don't see any mention of this problem. Has anyone else noticed that fast forward and rewind don't work from the serial interface? I'm sending f<LF> or b<LF> very quickly, the little icon for FF or Rew turns on, but it just makes a sort of skipping sound while playing the normal speed and direction. This is not a VBRE file and FF and Rew work fine from the IR remote.

Also, the "backtick" radio preset store command either doesn't work or I can't figure out how to use it (as before, the IR remote works fine).

It is docked and running at 4800 baud, but I believe the problem still happens even at 115200. I'm using the latest version of the developer's image, but I seem to recall it happening with the consumer image also.

Enough people have controlled these from their PCs and their own projects that someone must have experienced this, right?

#16590 - 03/09/2000 19:31 Re: Fast Forward/Rewind on serial port? [Re: CharlieP]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Have you tried sending a whole bunch of f(LF)s in a row? Maybe that's what it wants (kind of like what the IR remote does if you hold down the button).

Think about it- if it FF'd from just one command, then you'd need a corresponding command to make it stop FFing. They probably didn't implement it that way.

#16591 - 03/09/2000 22:06 Re: Fast Forward/Rewind on serial port? [Re: tfabris]
CharlieP
new poster

Have you tried sending a whole bunch of f(LF)s in a row? Maybe that's what it wants

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. Yes, that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm sending f<LF> about 20 times per second. i.e. 40 characters per second. I've tried sending at half that speed, tried typing it manually in a terminal program and tried only sending it only once. I haven't tried sending it faster than 20 times per second, because I've discovered that overflowing the Empeg's buffer will crash it. (as I accidentally did with the volume command)

#16592 - 04/09/2000 01:05 Re: Fast Forward/Rewind on serial port? [Re: CharlieP]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Try lots of 'f's on one line, followed by cr.

Hugo

#16593 - 04/09/2000 03:13 Re: Fast Forward/Rewind on serial port? [Re: altman]
CharlieP
new poster

Try lots of 'f's on one line, followed by cr.

It doesn't matter how many f's there are on one line - 1 is the same as two dozen. It also doesn't matter if the line ends in CR, LF or CRLF. The result is always the same.

Though if you send more than about 64 characters on the same line very quickly it will crash Empeg.