Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16662 - 04/09/2000 13:12 Configuration of Empeg buttons
doug316
journeyman

Will future releases support more config of buttons and functions? There should be a list of all possible functions and a way to select a mapping from the buttons on the front panel to those functions.

Button inputs should expand to allow double-clicking (with the existing press and press-hold) if a user wants extra functions. I know some people don't want double-clicking but we would have the choice in the config.

Also, Mark 2 users should be able to set "lock volume" so that it stays on 0db at all times. The knob could be used for other functions through the config.

#16663 - 04/09/2000 14:29 Re: Configuration of Empeg buttons [Re: doug316]
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
The buttons respond really fast right now. Would a double click feature slow down the single click action because it is waiting to see if there is a second click?
I wouldn't want this to be a problem if I was cruising through the songs really fast.

I really like the idea of a 0dB lock. I have a seperate volume control in my car so the empeg is in 0dB setting all the time but for some reason I always seem to accidentally get it off 0dB.

Alex Lear

#16664 - 04/09/2000 14:43 Re: Configuration of Empeg buttons [Re: alear]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I third the 0db lock, as I have the empeg going though my CD head unit.

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#16665 - 05/09/2000 08:32 Re: Configuration of Empeg buttons [Re: bmihulka]
doug316
journeyman

Yeah, I knew people would have issue with Double-click, so it has to be optional. Some of us want more functions available without grabbing the remote.

#16666 - 05/09/2000 10:06 Re: Configuration of Empeg buttons [Re: doug316]
bradpirtle
new poster

Loc: San Francisco, CA USA
Being able to configure function mappings to buttons and clicks (double etc) would be AWESOME!

I would love to make the up button (double click?) not be stop but 'go up a level from current playlist'. I find it very annoying that once a playlist has started playing, you haveto navigate from the top again to go to a same level playlist (ie hear another album from same artist).

#16667 - 28/11/2000 11:00 Re: Configuration of Empeg buttons [Re: doug316]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
This topic was brought up in this thread recently, so i thought i'd move it over to the appropriate thread and try and drum up some thoughts on it.

What if there was something like this in emplode for button configuration:

Seems like it would be fairly easy to program in since all of the buttons are software controlled. I'm not a programmer, sooo.... ideas? What do you guys think?

|| loren.cox

#16668 - 28/11/2000 11:46 Re: Configuration of Empeg buttons [Re: loren]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
There is allready a program called intercept, which was originally programmed to beep when a buttonpress is received. This could easily be modified to implement this kind of functionality. The only problem is the nature of the main player program, as it is running in real-time mode, which means that button-presses can sometimes lag a few seconds...
Maybe if we try to run intercept in real-time we can get some benefits...

Frank van Gestel

#16669 - 28/11/2000 19:18 Re: Configuration of Empeg buttons [Re: fvgestel]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
The only problem is the nature of the main player program, as it is running in real-time mode, which means that button-presses can sometimes lag a few seconds...
Maybe if we try to run intercept in real-time we can get some benefits...

You can get around this by doing the interception in the kernel. Intercepting and generating double clicks and holds is somewhat tricky but still doable.

Another problem with doing this outside of the player app is that it'll be very hard to keep track of what context the player is in. For example, if you reprogram a single click of the top button to do something different than "pause" (by translating it to a different key code), you still want it's default behaviour when you are in the menus, so that you can navigate them normally.

Borislav