Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16741 - 04/09/2000 22:45 Equalizer Presets
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Well even after reading the faq item I have a rather limited idea of how to setup the equalizer. It would be great if there where a few presets available. A few basic setups like many in home stereos seem to offer would be a good starting point and might help those of us who know that the empeg does not quite sound the way we like it, but are not sure where to start tweaking.

One example would be a 'bass boost' that could make up for the empeg being flatter than a lot of other head units. Something the user could select immediately to get the empeg sounding a little more like their previous headunit.

-Mike

#16742 - 05/09/2000 01:04 Re: Equalizer Presets [Re: mcomb]
teemcbee
addict

If you turn up the "loudness" (via menu - sound - loudness) you could turn up the bass very quick.

Or you create some presets in the EQ for yourself (See the manual for how it works - just take a little time to play with it. Then you'll be fine!)
You should be careful with the EQ-settings to boost the frequencies not too much (+12 or something) because it could cause distortion. Better set the highest level at 0 db and lower the frequencies you want to have more silent.

Generally the Equaliser is not a thing to make the music sound the way it should. You should adjust your amp and position/quality of speakers at the flat preset of the empeg.
The most important thing is adjusting the amp correct. The EQ should be just a fine-tuning for the current sound-layout (Jazz or Dance or classic or Rock...)

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#16743 - 05/09/2000 01:41 Re: Equalizer Presets [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I believe I can be quoted somewhere as saying that "presets" for an EQ are silly. The point of an EQ is to compensate for deficiencies in your amps/speakers, or to compensate for the listening environment. Since that criteria is different for every car, there's no way you could deliver an EQ preset which worked correctly for any one person.

But lately I think it might not hurt to fill the top 8 slots with some factory presets. Just for Joe Consumer. It's what is expected. Although I don't know how you could code the upgrade software to not destroy these settings if the user has modified them, because that would be vital...